Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

5.0 Coilovers

Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by jayman33
Did you read what he wanted?
Yes. He stated he has "Tokiko D Specs", as far as I know those are only shocks. He will not get the full lowered look without a set of springs to support those shocks. And from what I see he never mentions anything about having aftermarket springs of any kind hence why I said "springs and shocks"

Originally Posted by tonyfarrel
i already have good springs and shocks, but i want to slam it. and i cant find a set of springs that go very low, lowest ones i found were right about 1.8" and im already at 1.7" lower than stock
You can always cut the OEM springs one coil at a time to get the desired "slammed" look. It is currently done alot on older Edge Mustangs and provides great results with no money out of pocket. That is unless you cut to much and do not like the look. While this is not the best method of lowering as it will throw off the spring rate and such you stated you did not care about loss of ride quality so....

Matthew
Old 06-30-2013, 08:19 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

I have KW v3's and love them. IMO they are the best C/O for our cars. Here are a few pictures at different heights

I have some more cell phone pics on instagram @walkerracing23

I've never adjusted the height on the D2's but I've heard that it's a little bit of a process. The KW's are super easy to adjust. You just have to take the weight off the axel and twist the colar.

Last edited by silverstang23; 06-30-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I've heard good things about Air Ride suspensions if you're into the slammed look.
confirming air is awesome...even if it costs a bit more...
Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Just realized this topic has been posted twice.

Last edited by CMcNam; 07-01-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverstang23
I have KW v3's and love them. IMO they are the best C/O for our cars. Here are a few pictures at different heights

I have some more cell phone pics on instagram @walkerracing23

I've never adjusted the height on the D2's but I've heard that it's a little bit of a process. The KW's are super easy to adjust. You just have to take the weight off the axel and twist the colar.
Looks great Andrew!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
Looks great Andrew!
Agreed. Looks sweet!

Matthew
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 AM
RoadRacer78
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
You can always cut the OEM springs one coil at a time to get the desired "slammed" look.
Not if you want the springs to work right. Springs for strut application are “side load” springs. What that means is they are wound so they have a slight C shape to them. If you cut the springs it will re-clock the spring on the perch which will side load the strut shaft and cause binding (horrible ride) and possibly damage.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 AM
RoadRacer78
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tonyfarrel
Need some help, fairly new 2011 5.0 owner, love my car to death. I want to slam it though (Yes i know, stupid but ive always wanted to slam my car) so im looking for a good set of coilovers for under $1500. I want them to go very low, and if it sacrifices performance a little thats not that much of a problem to me because i can always go back to my Tokiko D Specs before i go back to the track.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Also if you have any pictures of your car on coils, post a pic of it, even if its not a 5.0
To the OP. Be careful taking advice from people who “like what they have”. In a lot of cases what they have is the only stuff they have experience with. And every set of coilovers are better than the stock stuff. Being better than stock isn’t a hard feat.

Additionally most people are not capable of driving their car nearly hard enough to have an opinion on the suspensions quality, setup, performance, etc.

I see the same thing with supercharger, turbo’s, etc. Ask a person who has one what they think and they will tell you that they love it. Well, DUH! Even the weakest power adder is light-years better than stock. But if they have not driven, worked on, lived with multiple different power adders all they are really able to tell you is that their power adder is better than stock. Again, DUH!

And lastly it is human nature to like what you have. I always take “I have one and love it” with a grain of salt. Most people only have experience with that one example and most importantly consciously or subconsciously people will always be a cheering section for the stuff they spent their hard earned money on. People do not want to admit to themselves, and especially other people that they may have spent their money on the wrong stuff.

The best people to take advice from are the ones with experience with multiple combinations and are not afraid to say that they may have spent money incorrectly in the past. Oh, and they had better be able to drive too.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 AM
jayman33
Banned

Road racer is 100% correct. This is why Ive tested so many applications. If you're on instagram check out @hypermotive. Many pics of the boss on ground control coilovers.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

dont cut your springs. it creates a dangerous situation for your car and possibly others. you have to pay to play

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0 Coilovers