Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Noise Issue(s) after spring install

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension Noise Issue(s) after spring install

Hotchkis lowering springs installed about 2 weeks ago by a local suspension shop. I wanted to do the install myself but, no lift, no impact gun. I was going to buy all of the tools to complete the job but figured it would be much cheaper to trust somebody else to do the work...

I noticed a few strange noises today while slowly pulling in to my driveway and also out on the road while over small bumps, especially while applying the brakes.

I just looked at the Spring/Strut through the wheel well, the rubber isolators were not transferred to the new springs! This may be the slight pop/creaking I am hearing as there is a metal to metal connection between the spring/strut.

If they couldn't handle switching the isolators over to the new springs, I'm worried about what else they could have done wrong, torque values, orientation of strut assembly, if they let the bb's in the mount spill out...

I did not replace the strut mounts but it does not sound like a loud popping that a bad mount usually makes over harsh bumps. More of a dull pop while applying the brakes at slow speeds, going up the very beginning of my sloped driveway, it happens every time. Maybe the 2 coils closest to the bottom are compressing on each other since the isolator is not there?

Sorry for the rant and the vague term of popping etc. I want to take it back to them and tell them to fix it but kind of want a more reliable shop doing the work, they might cause more problems. My exhaust helps drown out the noise but I still know something's not right!

Any suggestions? Check top strut bolt?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

How many miles? Could be the lack of isolation from the rubber spring isolators, also check the end links since these would have been removed and reinstalled for the spring install. If they are stock, they wear out and make a pop or metal clang sound on bumps. Just grab the end link and try and wiggle it. I had one with a bad bushing, it was real lose, floppy even and clanged over bumps and i was convinced it was my control arms at first. They can be worn or just not torqued correctly. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:17 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Definitely check that everything was torqued properly. When I first installed my springs and camber plates I had used the wrong torque settings on the strut mounts and strut bolts. I noticed some loud popping the second I left the driveway. Pulled back into the garage, smacked myself for not double-checking the new torque settings, torqued it all down, and haven't heard any noise since. You mentioned the rubber isolators as well. That may have something to do with it. Take it back and watch them do the work. If they care about their reputation at all they'll be pissed you're watching them, but it's your money and ultimately your reviews that will keep them in business.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM
adamryi

+1 on the bolt holding the strut mount. I had to use an impact to get it torqued down enough so it would stop popping when I hit bumps.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

The only advantage opting to have a pro shop do the install is that you can always take it back and have them diagnose/fix the problem without additional cost. Any reputable shop should guarantee/warrant their work and parts (if you bought if from them). This the the route I took, and it's worked out for me.

Give them another chance (at least) and have them fix it.

Last edited by magnido45; 07-17-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: mistype