Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Does a BRZ handle better than a Strano GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
+1 soo much better than stock! I havnt done the front lcas yet because I'm looking into doing a k member first, which I've been told helps out enormously!!!
I liked the improvement from my k-member. Realistically, the poly motor mounts which come with the UPR k-member kit were at least as beneficial as the 26lb weight reduction from the k-member itself.

We are not planning to mess with the front control arms because that is a risky proposition, so I picked up a set of Whiteline bushings & ball joints that I'm getting ready to try.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:17 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

My son has an FRS that he just bought as a result of landing a great job after college. He installed a Vortech blower and got a nice power increase through out his rev range. He is now really hard to stay with on tight road course tracks (Damn kid).
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 427Roush
My son has an FRS that he just bought as a result of landing a great job after college. He installed a Vortech blower and got a nice power increase through out his rev range. He is now really hard to stay with on tight road course tracks (Damn kid).
What mods are on your Roush, and what tires do you guys run on track days?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

Ansibe, is your BRZ still on the stock tires? The Frisbee twins come from the factory with the same rock hard tires as a Prius! I'd be interested to hear how much better the BRZ will be with stickier rubber, all else staying equal. The BRZ is also slightly more grip-oriented than the drift-happy FR-S.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by I_Call_D.I.B.s
Ansibe, is your BRZ still on the stock tires? The Frisbee twins come from the factory with the same rock hard tires as a Prius! I'd be interested to hear how much better the BRZ will be with stickier rubber, all else staying equal. The BRZ is also slightly more grip-oriented than the drift-happy FR-S.
Yes, stock tires, and you're right there's not much grip. The car makes the best of them though, and it feels good when they let go, very predictable.

The tires make it hard to compare to my gt, because the gt has tons of grip. If the subbie had that grip it might squash the suspension and react strangely. From what I've read, they're still good even on sticky rubber.

My mustang will sometimes over steer mid corner. I think it happens when the rear end compresses to the bump stops, and the sudden increase in effective spring rate causes the chassis to go loose. Not hard to control, but it does scare the crap outta me when it happens in fourth gear at mosport!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
Yes, stock tires, and you're right there's not much grip. The car makes the best of them though, and it feels good when they let go, very predictable.

The tires make it hard to compare to my gt, because the gt has tons of grip. If the subbie had that grip it might squash the suspension and react strangely. From what I've read, they're still good even on sticky rubber.

My mustang will sometimes over steer mid corner. I think it happens when the rear end compresses to the bump stops, and the sudden increase in effective spring rate causes the chassis to go loose. Not hard to control, but it does scare the crap outta me when it happens in fourth gear at mosport!
to look at how good the twins get when you put sticky tires on them, check out any of them running at autox's. the ones around here are normally top 10-20 in PAX when theyre put on good tires.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
What mods are on your Roush, and what tires do you guys run on track days?
My 427R came with an M90 blower. It has the Trak Pak suspension, 4 piston big brake kit with forged wheels as factory installed options.
I installed a Fays 2 watts link, bump steer kit, ball joints, brake cooling ducts with stainless steel lines and high temp fluid.
I just installed a CAI and a Pedders suspension front chassis brace.
I have Enkei PF01 wheels on order and trying to decide which track tire is best, (BFG or Hoosiers).
I have 390 rear wheel HP but this seems plenty for my local tracks.
I am currently running Cooper RS3 tires with a 200 tread wear rating.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 427Roush
My 427R came with an M90 blower. It has the Trak Pak suspension, 4 piston big brake kit with forged wheels as factory installed options.
I installed a Fays 2 watts link, bump steer kit, ball joints, brake cooling ducts with stainless steel lines and high temp fluid.
I just installed a CAI and a Pedders suspension front chassis brace.
I have Enkei PF01 wheels on order and trying to decide which track tire is best, (BFG or Hoosiers).
I have 390 rear wheel HP but this seems plenty for my local tracks.
I am currently running Cooper RS3 tires with a 200 tread wear rating.
I'd vote Hoosier R6s.

Anyway, your son's not running stock tires is he? I was trying to imagine how the two cars stack up.