Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Handling packages for 2005-2009 Mustang GT, opinions needed. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 PM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Cool Handling packages for 2005-2009 Mustang GT, opinions needed. Thanks.

I am still contemplating getting a Mustang GT, 2005-2009. I am interested in the car handling well. I am happy with stock power for the most part. I appears to handle decent, not great. I am looking at some "reasonable" handling packs on the market. Stage 1 by Steeda is about $899.99, comes with rear, front sway bars, springs and brace for over engine. I am interested in improving the handling for this car that it will reduce body lean, etc. I am not interested in drag racing, would like to race it on track, improve its cornering, etc. It would be nice to beat some 350z. Is the above a good kit? Can I get away from changing out shocks, using stock shocks, what kind are they anyways, ford? I also see a kit by Eibach that is just like the above Steeda kit but without engine brace. Is the engine brace helpful at all, or more for looks? I am trying to spend as little as possible with the most gain. The Eibach kit is 600.00 as stating above and close to 900.00 with shocks. Just a little bit confused. Remember I posted other thread mentioning that I am "used" to german handling and just don't want to go that route, headache in terms of spending, glitches, etc. Ger.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 PM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

I personally hate handling packages. They are an ok upgrade for the 9-5 user but if you want some serious performance ditch the lowering springs idea. just my .02 cents. i posted here what I did to mine and it handles fantastically. However I dropped about 2 grand on stuff (which actually isnt that bad price wise)

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...at-350z-2.html
Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 AM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

I'd look at the Stranoparts handling kits. Both are under $1,000 and you can add other suspension parts from his website. I bought a Roush and it already came with a proprietal handling kit.
If I was going to mod a stock 05-09 GT, that's where I'd start.
My personal experience is this: I've talked with Sam Strano and found his advise to be spot on and loaded with trial, error and success from his racing exploits. That's why I bought a watts link from him.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:39 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mungodrums
I am still contemplating getting a Mustang GT, 2005-2009. I am interested in the car handling well. I am happy with stock power for the most part. I appears to handle decent, not great. I am looking at some "reasonable" handling packs on the market. Stage 1 by Steeda is about $899.99, comes with rear, front sway bars, springs and brace for over engine. I am interested in improving the handling for this car that it will reduce body lean, etc. I am not interested in drag racing, would like to race it on track, improve its cornering, etc. It would be nice to beat some 350z. Is the above a good kit? Can I get away from changing out shocks, using stock shocks, what kind are they anyways, ford? I also see a kit by Eibach that is just like the above Steeda kit but without engine brace. Is the engine brace helpful at all, or more for looks? I am trying to spend as little as possible with the most gain. The Eibach kit is 600.00 as stating above and close to 900.00 with shocks. Just a little bit confused. Remember I posted other thread mentioning that I am "used" to german handling and just don't want to go that route, headache in terms of spending, glitches, etc. Ger.
Koni Shocks/Struts, UPR lowering springs, UPR panhard bar, and actual performance tires will radically transform the handling of an S197.

I have the full S197 handling package from UPR and my daily driver has great handling with reasonable ride quality.

Here's what I'm running:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-package.html
Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Allupinya
2nd Gear Member

Koni STR.T dampers, hotchkis springs, gt500 mounts and an adj. PHB will completely transform your car. Sway bars are one of the last things I would do to these cars and if I was going to upgrade the sway bars I would only do the front. You need a little deflection and articulation in the rear of these cars being that they are a live rear axle.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'd recommend you give me a ring so we can talk about stuff. There are a LOT of options, some I recommend a lot, some not as much. But I don't always recommend the same thing to everyone, because every is different.

I'd ask you take a little time and really think about what it is about how the car drives you'd like to change. Everyone says "I want it to handle better", and about 95% of those also say "but I want it to ride well (or like stock, etc).

I'm not a fan of the "big box" packages, I tend to have issues with the dampers, or the springs, or the bars, or all 3 to some degree. That we could also discuss... I don't just expect you to take my word as gospel, but it does get hard when I have to debate generic "I read on the internet" kind of things vs. actual detail.