Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2013 GT - 1 or 1.5 inch lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Steelios

Default 2013 GT - 1 or 1.5 inch lowering Springs?

Hey guys,

I'm going to order the FRPP Shocks/Struts and Springs today and I need some quick help. I have a 2013 Mustang GT and I'm debating dropping it either 1" or 1.5". Right now, ground clearance is well over 6 inches with the stock fascia and no chin spoiler. As my daily driver, which drop would you recommend? I WANT to do the 1.5" but, being a new Mustang owner, I'd like some opinions from guys who have dropped their cars.

Thank you all for the help!

Steelios
Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

Im running the "K" springs on my 2013 right now. We put a set of "P" springs on another 2013 up here and the drop is not enough IMO. I have the Boss chin spoiler as well.

Picture of my car is in my sig.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

You should be just fine with the 1.5" drop.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Steelios

Ok, thanks guys! I'm going to go ahead with the 1.5" FRPP K Springs.

One other question...do I need anything besides the shocks/struts and springs? I've heard that I need new strut mounts and then somebody else told me that I didn't. They're $110 apiece so I'd like to know whether or not I really need them. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

If you are using 05-10 style struts, then grab you a set of GT500 Style Strut Mounts. If you are using a 11-13 style strut then you wont need anything else.

This is the exact kit I used

2005-13 Mustang Ford Racing Strut, Shock And Spring Kit
Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Steelios

Originally Posted by Jarrod@latemodel
If you are using 05-10 style struts, then grab you a set of GT500 Style Strut Mounts. If you are using a 11-13 style strut then you wont need anything else.

This is the exact kit I used

2005-13 Mustang Ford Racing Strut, Shock And Spring Kit
And it looks like that's the exact kit I'll be ordering today! Thanks for the help, Jarrod!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

Not a problem.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steelios
And it looks like that's the exact kit I'll be ordering today! Thanks for the help, Jarrod!
You will LOVE that setup!!
I've been running this exact setup for over a month now and with the car set on "SPORT" steering, it rides like it's on rails!!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steelios
Ok, thanks guys! I'm going to go ahead with the 1.5" FRPP K Springs.

One other question...do I need anything besides the shocks/struts and springs? I've heard that I need new strut mounts and then somebody else told me that I didn't. They're $110 apiece so I'd like to know whether or not I really need them. Thanks!
not sure about the newer models, but on the 05-09 mustangs you need an adjustable pan-hard bar when lowering the rear of your car.....it allows you to re-center the rear axle under the car

if you find out that you do need it, here's the bar I highly recommend...the adjustment & jam nuts are located in a very good location that makes life very easy....I've installed others where the adjustments are at the ends of the bars and it makes installation very difficult!

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=172
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
not sure about the newer models, but on the 05-09 mustangs you need an adjustable pan-hard bar when lowering the rear of your car.....it allows you to re-center the rear axle under the car

if you find out that you do need it, here's the bar I highly recommend...the adjustment & jam nuts are located in a very good location that makes life very easy....I've installed others where the adjustments are at the ends of the bars and it makes installation very difficult!

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=172
This is a good bit of information. I had one on my 06 and just put it on my 13' since I already had one. You wont notice the off center of the axle with a set of stock wheels, but once you put on an aftermarket wheel with wider tires, its easily seen.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT - 1 or 1.5 inch lowering Springs?