Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Fays2 Watts Link install

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default Fays2 Watts Link install

Does anybody have a soft copy of the Fays2 Watts link install like in a pdf format that they could PM me? I'd like to look at it to see if the install is something that I can tackle myself. Im pretty sure I probably could, but having a look at the install procedure for a GT500 would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I pinged Sam but he must be busy because he hasnt had a chance to reply to that request yet.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

You're getting a Watt's link? Good choice man, I love the way my car handles with mine.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by akiba17
You're getting a Watt's link? Good choice man, I love the way my car handles with mine.
What Watts Link do you have akiba17? Nice car BTW! I'm partial to GTs without rear wings and black wheels.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Does anybody have a soft copy of the Fays2 Watts link install like in a pdf format that they could PM me? I'd like to look at it to see if the install is something that I can tackle myself. Im pretty sure I probably could, but having a look at the install procedure for a GT500 would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I pinged Sam but he must be busy because he hasnt had a chance to reply to that request yet.
I don't have a soft copy, but I installed a Fays2 myself in my garage (not on a Shelby, but all Mustangs are built the same, so...).

You're gonna need some larger than normal wrenches and/or sockets to tighten the bolts on the watts bars, as well as an electronic level, but other than that it's very straightforward. It took me about four hours working by myself.

I'm old and have only partial use of my left hand. If I can do it, you can do it.

Here's a small write-up:

http://paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Su...aspx#tab-fays2

One point I neglected to mention in the writeup - make double-damn sure that you torque to specs (listed in the instructions), and then after 50 miles, check ALL of the bolts. I did it twice (once at 60 miles, and again at 150).

If you have an aftermarket sway bar, you may have clearance issues.

Last edited by jsimmonstx; 10-09-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Always smart to double check the tightness of fasteners.

I'll say that I prefer to use a non-digital angle finder, preferably one with a spring loaded needle like this one... http://www.lowes.com/pd_198122-1099-AF006M_0__ Digital ones are actually to touchy and we get hung up on .1 degrees. It's critical the arms aren't out of whack to each other by any tangible amount like 1 or 2 degrees, but you don't need digital to do it.

It is a pretty easy bolt on. You do need some big wrenches. It's been a while since I put one on myself to be honest so I can't recall the sizes exactly.

As for the rear bar. Yep, not all bars will work with it. My 8419 rear bar does in fact work with the Fays2 unit. It was specifically designed to work around the Fays2 watts since that what I used on my 2007 and 2011 Mustangs.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:16 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Originally Posted by STANGmole
What Watts Link do you have akiba17? Nice car BTW! I'm partial to GTs without rear wings and black wheels.
I'm rocking the Whiteline unit, installation was cake.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

Here you go:

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/PDF/S7M8-5649.pdf

It says Shelby but it's a rebranded Fays2. Having done this install myself on ramps, I can tell you right now it's tight back there! I hope you have access to a lift. That being said, the Fays2 is awesome on my 2013 V-6 Performance Pack. The rear axle feels much more planted, especially in corners, and initial turn-in is a bit quicker as well. Just be aware that it will be a little noisy as it does use rod ends (Heim joints).
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by I_Call_D.I.B.s
Here you go:

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/PDF/S7M8-5649.pdf

It says Shelby but it's a rebranded Fays2. Having done this install myself on ramps, I can tell you right now it's tight back there! I hope you have access to a lift. That being said, the Fays2 is awesome on my 2013 V-6 Performance Pack. The rear axle feels much more planted, especially in corners, and initial turn-in is a bit quicker as well. Just be aware that it will be a little noisy as it does use rod ends (Heim joints).
Mine was less noisy than the aftermarket panhard bar/brace I was using. In fact, there's almost no noise coming from the back of the car.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:02 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Does anyone know if the Fays2 will clear Steeda's rear sway?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Steeda sells their own version of the Fays2 (for about $350 more), so I would think so.

Quick Reply: Fays2 Watts Link install