Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Sport Springs w/ Strano Front and Rear Bar Setup Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Default Steeda Sport Springs w/ Strano Front and Rear Bar Setup Suggestions?

I installed the Steeda Sport springs w/ Strano front and rear sway bars a few weeks back, and after driving it and getting used to the new feel I'm asking you guys that might have a similar setup for suggestions on dialing in my suspension.

It's a 2010 GT, -1.2 deg camber, STR.T shock/struts. Michelin AS/3 tires.

I have both front and rear sway bars on the medium setting.

My feeling now, is that the handling is not neutral. I went from a condition in which I had understeer and the back of my car felt like it had more roll than the front (or that the inner rear wheel was lifting when cornering) to my current setup with WAY less body roll, less nose dive when braking, and less wheelie popping when accelerating. It feels like the front wheels are turning in too quick or loosing grip faster than the back which is a little bit unsettling and doesn't really inspire driver confidence.

I'd rather have neutral handling, or the opposite feeling of the rear loosing grip before the front wheels. I'm used to solid axle RWD cars where the back slides out or drifts around corners and am comfortable adding driver correction if it happens. Having the front loose grip first, or feeling like the back wheels are pushing the front wheels straight ahead when they're trying to turn in is freaking me out a little bit when I get near the limit of my tires grip.

Any suggestions for dialing in my suspension? I'm thinking that I might need to change the front bar to the softest setting and leave the back on medium...does that sound like the right direction to go? ...or would you leave the front on Medium and set the back to firm?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

I have the same rear sway bar in my '14(matching front and fays2 watts link soon to follow), and I have found that the softest setting in rear was definitely the better for keeping the rear end in line(faster than needing to correct). I was autocrossing a few weeks ago with TSCC, and ran into a gentleman running a 2013 Boss who had won Solo nationals(2011, in an S2000; he also had fastest Raw, PAX, and ESP on this particular weekend). The way he had his car set up was as soft as possible on the rear bar, and as stiff as it would go up front. This may not work, because neither of us have those springs, but the I described setup has been proven to work very well.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Soften the front, or stiffen the rear. Need to try both to see what you prefer the feel of. Remember we also stiffened the front spring rates quite a bit vs. the rear as compared to stock.

That Boss you saw run in VA Beach. That's all my setup... Jadrice Toussaint is the driver/car owner. 99% of the parts on that car came from Strano Performance Parts.

Incidentally, this is *EXACTLY* why I think having the option to adjust and tune things is a good thing to have. In this case bars, but same applies for dampers, and roll-centers too. The is no universal perfect answer. Flexibility is the key if you are at all particular about how the car feels and is balanced. Lots of people don't want this, they're happy with whatever improvement they get from non-adjustable parts. I'm not one of them, and I'd say that 80% of my customers do NOT fall into that category.

In the end, you have to find what works best for you. That isn't something you can get from faceless internet posts. Based on what you are stating, I think a move to stiffer hole on the rear is more likely going to be your preference over softening the front, but again... you should try both combinations. Hell, maybe you end up eventually at soft front, stiff rear... could happen.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 11-01-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:46 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Jande063! I might give that a try (setting the rear on the softest setting) before messing with the front. I was concerned that my front might be way too stiff (after looking at the numbers on the Strano site compared to the way the other factory Mustangs are set up), but that's from strictly looking at the numbers and not calibrating by seat of the pants feel...and the factory Mustangs also have the factory springs which are way different than the Steeda Sports.

Ah...as i was typing I saw Sam's post magically appear! I'll play with the settings on the rear bar for now and see how it changes the feel (going softer or firmer).

Last edited by STANGmole; 11-01-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by STANGmole
Thanks Jande063! I might give that a try (setting the rear on the softest setting) before messing with the front. I was concerned that my front might be way too stiff (after looking at the numbers on the Strano site compared to the way the other factory Mustangs are set up), but that's from strictly looking at the numbers and not calibrating by seat of the pants feel...and the factory Mustangs also have the factory springs which are way different than the Steeda Sports.
Ahhh, that would be counter to what it is you say you want. Just sayin'.....
Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Ahhh, that would be counter to what it is you say you want. Just sayin'.....
Yeah, I'll try setting the rear on firm first and see how that goes. Thanks Sam!