Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Issue

Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension Issue

For starters I have Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Yellows, and Maximum Motorsports camber plates. I recently installed the camber plates on the car so the race I had today was the first time on them. About halfway through my auto-x today I noticed that my driver's side front suspension was 3/4 an inch lower than the passenger side. I noticed no issue with the actual handling and my alignment was still straight as I drove home on the highway. I thought that I might have broken a spring since springs determine ride height. I took off my front wheels and my springs were good to go. I was trying to feel if my camber plate had slipped off of the ball bearings but I couldn't tell.

On a side note, when I was installing my camber plates I had to redo them because the first time I tightened the top bolt on the strut it got out of line and spilled bearings all over the place.

I'm thinking that the camber plate slipped again but I'm not sure. Is there anything else that I should check before I take off the strut assembly and mess up my alignment? If the top part of the camber plate is off again is there anything I can do to keep it attached correctly? I figured that since it was aligned properly once I tightened it down that it wouldn't move but I think I might be wrong. I appreciate any input on how to fix this.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I think I'm just going to take the strut assembly off and see if everything looks right then go from there. If there is anything weird I'll post a picture online to see if anyone has any ideas.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

So I took off the strut assembly and found this bent bracket on the maximum motorsport castor camber plate assembly.

But I'm not sure if that bent bracket is what caused my suspension to drop 3/4 of an inch. Does anyone think that it would have caused that?

Here is what my strut looks like, nothing out of the ordinary. The camber plate did not slip off of the ball bearings either.

Any ideas on where to go from here? I'm tempted to take off the spring and measure it to see if it is the correct height. I'm not sure if the spring itself is bending too much under load. Has anyone else had any issues with Steeda springs sagging to much on one spring? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

So I have ruled out the springs and the camber plates as being the culprit for why my driver's side front suspension is half an inch lower than the passenger side. I switched the right and left front springs to see if the passenger side would lower instead of the driver's side. I kept the MM camber plates on too and it was still lower on the driver's side. So next I swapped out the MM camber plates for my stock GT500 struts mounts to see if it was the aftermarket part. Unfortunately it was still lower on the driver's side. I even took the car out for a spin to see if the springs needed to settle any and no change. On the spring swap I even left the sway bar disconnected to see if that was affecting anything and as mentioned earlier I found no change to ride height. I haven't received any ideas from you guys so far but if anyone of you have anything else on the suspension that I can check I would appreciate it. The bushings that I can easily see seem to be in good condition. I also checked the passenger rear to see if it was higher than the driver's but they were the same height. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.