Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

which control arms are better

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There could be some advantage in separating how you make pinion angle and thrust angle adjustments if you need to tweak both of these angles. While pinion angle *can* be accomplished by tweaking LCA lengths by the same amount, you're less likely to inadvertently knock your thrust angle off if you adjust PA with the UCA.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Sorry to also high jack but is a lower control arm relocation bracket always needed? Or when your lowered? Only when going with AM LCA?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

LCA Relos are never "needed", but they have their uses. My 2011 is slammed. I'm going to add UPR's new style relo brackets just to level out the LCAs. I don't want to add anti squat because that stuff is just silly to me. I only want to correct the control arm geometry. (closer to stock angles at my lower height)
Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
There could be some advantage in separating how you make pinion angle and thrust angle adjustments if you need to tweak both of these angles. While pinion angle *can* be accomplished by tweaking LCA lengths by the same amount, you're less likely to inadvertently knock your thrust angle off if you adjust PA with the UCA.

Norm
So you think Im better off with fixed LCA and adjustable rear UCA?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:01 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If all you need to do is adjust pinion angle, fixed-length LCAs and an adjustable UCA would give you the simpler adjustment procedure with no chance of screwing thrust angle up in the process. Understand that swapping the UCA is a more involved job that can be physically more difficult.

Adjusting pinion angle with LCAs involves adjusting both LCAs equally in the same direction to bring pinion angle in to the desired number - assuming that the thrust angle is good. If you don't adjust them equally, you'll cause a change in thrust angle. This is a physically easier mod with a fussier adjustment procedure.

If your thrust angle is off to begin with, you have no choice but to use adjustable-length LCAs, in which case it's easier to get the thrust angle corrected before addressing pinion angle.

Norm
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If all you need to do is adjust pinion angle, fixed-length LCAs and an adjustable UCA would give you the simpler adjustment procedure with no chance of screwing thrust angle up in the process. Understand that swapping the UCA is a more involved job that can be physically more difficult.

Adjusting pinion angle with LCAs involves adjusting both LCAs equally in the same direction to bring pinion angle in to the desired number - assuming that the thrust angle is good. If you don't adjust them equally, you'll cause a change in thrust angle. This is a physically easier mod with a fussier adjustment procedure.

If your thrust angle is off to begin with, you have no choice but to use adjustable-length LCAs, in which case it's easier to get the thrust angle corrected before addressing pinion angle.

Norm
Well how do I really know if it is off? I want whatever will give me the best handling. I am dropped so would that affect it? Should I get the relo brackets?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Thrust angle should show up on your alignment printout. You want this to be zero-point-zero degrees anyway - for steering wheel centering reasons if not for helping to get handling symmetry in right vs left turns.

Pinion angle will have shifted due to your lowering (probably to a slightly lower value). This is a lot more of a drag strip consideration that you aren't likely to notice on the street unless the pinion angle has gone far enough out to cause driveline vibration.

Norm