Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Camber for track days and time trial

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Default Camber for track days and time trial

I am new to the Mustang world having just acquired a 2014 base GT with TrackPack. Love the car and find the motor intoxicating. But the handling leaves a lot of room for improvement.
I have read getting the camber to -3, or as close as possible, is best for my 2014 Gt on a road race course (street closer to -1). However I am also told that with the Steeda Boss 302 springs I was planning the max camber will be -1.6 to -2.1 range limited by the width of the springs creating clearance issues.
Is this camber good enough for track use or should I go with the Ground Control coil over setup to allow room for greater negative camber?
I could care less about lowering for the look or for making the car level front to rear. Only issue is the best on track performance without spending a fortune. So shocks and springs, camber plates and probably a Fays2. Then see how it does regarding the need for different sway bars. I bought GT500 wheels for track tires.

I plan on five to eight track days per season. Car is not a DD. Just a fun car like my prior S2000. I am a former track day instructor and SCCA FF driver.

Tod
Old 11-26-2013, 04:57 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

It's good to see another road racer here on the forums. I'm doing the same thing with my 5.0, trying to get the right specs down, so I've been chatting with a few companies we work with that have actual race cars that are competitive in several series, to see what they suggest, to see what they run.

You are completely correct on the camber situation. -3 up front, or as close as you can get it to -3 is going to be ideal for most road racing situations. Firstly I'd probably look at getting a coilover set. Ground Control can easily do the job, I've used them in the past and they do have good quality stuff that's for sure.

I'd probably say that your best bet is to just go with the Ground Control coilovers. I can't stand the stock shocks, they don't do very well on the track, the dampening is correct for the springs, but it's just all too soft every where.

Let me know if you need help with spring rates, I have that stuff all written down if you're interested in picking my brain on that stuff. Just looking to help!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Thanks.
I had seen a couple of folks on the forums with Ground Control running 425-435 pounds front springs. At least one person was not using the rear sway bar at all. Any advice is appreciated (pm is ok as well). GC offers three options on their Mustang coil overs. Street, track/street and race versions. I will contact them to discuss.
Used GC on a 2003 GTI I used to track with. The camber plates were a bit harsh but well within my comfort zone.
Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

The camber plates from GC back in the day I know where pretty noisy, but they've since corrected that, in the last 4-5 years from what I remember.

If your mixing daily driving and road racing, 425-435 pounds should do the trick. I know that it will be very comfortable with street use with all the ***** on the dampening turned down. Somewhere around 450/in fronts and 175/in rears is a good mix between daily driver and track racing, but there still will be body roll present. If you want to eliminate that, then jump up to around 550/in fronts and 250/in rears, and it will still be pretty good for daily driving on a good set of shocks/struts.

Anything higher than 550/in fronts and 250/in rears will compromise daily driving significantly.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:51 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
The camber plates from GC back in the day I know where pretty noisy, but they've since corrected that, in the last 4-5 years from what I remember.

If your mixing daily driving and road racing, 425-435 pounds should do the trick. I know that it will be very comfortable with street use with all the ***** on the dampening turned down. Somewhere around 450/in fronts and 175/in rears is a good mix between daily driver and track racing, but there still will be body roll present. If you want to eliminate that, then jump up to around 550/in fronts and 250/in rears, and it will still be pretty good for daily driving on a good set of shocks/struts.

Anything higher than 550/in fronts and 250/in rears will compromise daily driving significantly.
Great info. Good to know GC has improved the NVH of the camber plates.
What do you do for sway bars?
I will probably go close to your 550/250 number. I believe that is still within the Koni Sport ability.
Did you leave the PB or go with Watts?
Should I leave the rear higher that the front?
I was thinking of trying for .75 lower in front and 1 inch lower it rear.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by todcp
Great info. Good to know GC has improved the NVH of the camber plates.
What do you do for sway bars?
I will probably go close to your 550/250 number. I believe that is still within the Koni Sport ability.
Did you leave the PB or go with Watts?
Should I leave the rear higher that the front?
I was thinking of trying for .75 lower in front and 1 inch lower it rear.
I haven't done sway bars yet, but it's on the list for sure.

I have a Hotchkis PB for now, which works perfectly fine, really no need to go with anything else for daily driving, but I'm that kind of guy who likes to go overkill, so that Whiteline Watts Link has got my name on it in the near future.

Though I'm always going to say the track is more important than showing off the car, I do have to admit my car is way too low for now, so I'm a lot lower than .75 up front and 1 in the back. I don't have my calculations, and my car is getting some body work done, so it's going to be a while till I see her again, but I'll measure up the distances to see where I'm at. I'd probably say another .5" all around would probably end up better, but that's just me. I'd play it by ear and just test it all out to see where you like it since everybody has a different driving style on the track.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

And it is relatively easy to adjust the height with the GC :-)
Old 12-02-2013, 10:29 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I'm running almost -3 degrees of front camber and I have steeda springs and there is no rubbing or width issues created by the springs. I'm limited by the camber plates themselves. Just want you to know that there are other options besides coilovers if you decide to not go that route.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:57 AM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Interesting that you got that much neg camber. Gus, at Steeda, said I might be able to get -2.3.
Nevertheless I did order the Boss springs from Steeda and their HD mounts. Decided to keep with my original goal of just having a better than Boss 302 handling car that is track capable but within reason on the street.
Koni Sports will be next as soon as they are available at a sale price. I think they have a sale every March? Hope to get them for under $700. I will not install the springs until I have the Konis.
Will see how the setup works with the stock track pack sways before considering a change.
Watts will have to wait due to budget.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I have the maximum motorsport camber plates so I can't speak on what the Steeda plates will do. There are other plates out there that can give you a lot of negative camber also.

Quick Reply: Camber for track days and time trial