Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Coilovers & Camber Plates.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Coilovers & Camber Plates.

I'm looking for some coilovers and noticed that some manufacturers use camber plates like the one in the picture. If I'm not mistaken, it would be a pain to adjust the camber since you'd have to drop the strut away from the strut tower to loosen the four allen bolts. Am I correct?
Attached Thumbnails Coilovers & Camber Plates.-camberplate.jpg  

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 01-10-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Good question!

European style coilovers do NOT come with camber plates (ie: KW Coilovers, Bilstein Coilovers, and so forth). JDM style coilovers usually DO come with camber plates (BC Racing, HKS and so forth).

The adjustment for the camber plate is easy. If the kit was designed properly, you will not have to adjust the camber while the coilover is taken off the car, you can do it while it's on the car, but I would jack up the side that you're adjusting first, then loosen the 4 allen bolts, and then make your adjustment, then tighten down. Once you do it a lot you get used to it.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can help out with anything
Old 01-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...gory.php/CA=96
Old 01-10-2014, 01:11 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Or you can get set up with what we've got which is Vorshlag, who actually practices what they preach in their product by having a Mustang that they competitively race with their camber plates of course:

AND they currently hold the records under NASA TT3 with this car for 2013:
Motorsports Ranch Houston (2.38 CW), 1:41.544, Jan 19, 2013
Motorsports Ranch Cresson (3.1 CCW), 2:22.753, March 17, 2013
Texas World Speedway (2.9 CW), 1:51.530, April 21, 2013
New Orleans Motorsports Park (2.75 CW North Course), 1:50.535, May 5, 2013
Hallet Motor Racing Circuit (CCW), 1:24.365, June 23, 2013
Hallet Motor Racing Circuit (CW), 1:26.786, June 23, 2013
Texas World Speedway (2.9 CCW), 1:50.675, Sept 22, 2013
Eagles Canyon Raceway (2.5 CCW), 1:52.250 Nov 2, 2013

Pretty badass!

Last edited by ModBargains; 01-10-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Well, I guess that settles that.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flat out
Well, I guess that settles that.
Ground Control is good, don't get me wrong, but Vorshlag has done so much testing on these camber plates for the S197 that it just makes it a bit unfair to the rest of the market, haha.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Ground Control is good, don't get me wrong, but Vorshlag has done so much testing on these camber plates for the S197 that it just makes it a bit unfair to the rest of the market, haha.
I think you're right, they're both very good, but camber plates who ever made them don't win races, I think we both know that there is a WHOLE LOT more that goes into preparing a winning race car. I know because this car has won some races.
Attached Thumbnails Coilovers & Camber Plates.-img_0493.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flat out
I think you're right, they're both very good, but camber plates who ever made them don't win races, I think we both know that there is a WHOLE LOT more that goes into preparing a winning race car. I know because this car has won some races.
Of course, you're 100% right. My 10 years of racing will contest to that fact, but it's still kind of bad *** to know that the camber plates were abused on the track with this Vorshlag car, and they held up really well. The suspension set up on that car alone is over $6,000+ so I know it's not just the camber plates
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Good question!

European style coilovers do NOT come with camber plates (ie: KW Coilovers, Bilstein Coilovers, and so forth). JDM style coilovers usually DO come with camber plates (BC Racing, HKS and so forth).

The adjustment for the camber plate is easy. If the kit was designed properly, you will not have to adjust the camber while the coilover is taken off the car, you can do it while it's on the car, but I would jack up the side that you're adjusting first, then loosen the 4 allen bolts, and then make your adjustment, then tighten down. Once you do it a lot you get used to it.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can help out with anything
Most of the JDM style coilovers are the ones with the camber plate I posted earlier. I think I won't be able to access the 4 camber adjustment bolts while the strut is bolted into the strut tower. The opening of the strut tower isn't large enough to allow access.

Just to show the strut tower opening.
Name:  install-STB12-4a_zps656a44f5.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  48.1 KB

Ground Control is what I've been considering. I've looked at just about every coilover kit out there. Ground Control has everything I want in a coilover. It's in my price range, has the easier-to-adjust camber plates (in car adjustment), adjustable dampening, and your choice of custom spring rates. Only thing is their customer service sucks.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
Most of the JDM style coilovers are the ones with the camber plate I posted earlier. I think I won't be able to access the 4 camber adjustment bolts while the strut is bolted into the strut tower. The opening of the strut tower isn't large enough to allow access.

Just to show the strut tower opening.

Ground Control is what I've been considering. I've looked at just about every coilover kit out there. Ground Control has everything I want in a coilover. It's in my price range, has the easier-to-adjust camber plates (in car adjustment), adjustable dampening, and your choice of custom spring rates. Only thing is their customer service sucks.
You might think I'm crazy, but I would give them a call and tell them just that in the nicest way you can, if you do one of two things will happen, you'll get an attitude from them, or, you might get good customer service, I do think the product is the best bang for the buck. You can spend a lot more for less in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Coilovers & Camber Plates.