Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Finished installing new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Good deal. Thanks for the track report. I'm considering a very similar if not identical setup for mine, so good to see that it works well for one guy at least. I'm going to the track in mine next Friday (Mid-America Motorplex near Omaha), but I'm going to give it a go pretty well stock and see how it works. Brakes will be XP12s all around and the Motul RBF600 is already flushed in, and I may run some old, very worn Sumitomos on GT500 wheels in 275/40/18 (track wheels from my 2010 GT), but other than that it's stock. Well, okay, the diff cover is swapped out for the Boss/Track Pack diff cover so I could plug the axle vent and move it to the top of the diff cover, but I think that's it.

Just curious, did your clutch behave? Mine just sucks at high rpm (pedal returns very slowly) unless I remove the helper spring, which I did but then it doesn't quite return the pedal to the top of the travel. I've got a 2011 TSB pedal assembly coming on Friday (which theoretically loses the helper spring but has a return spring at the top of the pivot; exactly the opposite of my current one) and will try to swap that in beforehand, but not sure I'll have time.

As for the car shrinking, it's amazing how well it works with just a few tweaks. A friend has a nicely modded RX-8 on coilovers that is just absurdly fast through the corners and freakishly precise in every way, and we both agreed that my 2010 GT with Konis and not a lot else felt like a slightly bigger, slightly less precise RX-8. Which is a huge compliment. The big thing is that the car simply does what you tell it; it just responds in a very analog way that goes along with all of those things you read about and learned in person driving sporting cars. The whole is decidedly greater than the sum of the parts.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Good deal. Thanks for the track report. I'm considering a very similar if not identical setup for mine, so good to see that it works well for one guy at least. I'm going to the track in mine next Friday (Mid-America Motorplex near Omaha), but I'm going to give it a go pretty well stock and see how it works. Brakes will be XP12s all around and the Motul RBF600 is already flushed in, and I may run some old, very worn Sumitomos on GT500 wheels in 275/40/18 (track wheels from my 2010 GT), but other than that it's stock. Well, okay, the diff cover is swapped out for the Boss/Track Pack diff cover so I could plug the axle vent and move it to the top of the diff cover, but I think that's it.

Just curious, did your clutch behave? Mine just sucks at high rpm (pedal returns very slowly) unless I remove the helper spring, which I did but then it doesn't quite return the pedal to the top of the travel. I've got a 2011 TSB pedal assembly coming on Friday (which theoretically loses the helper spring but has a return spring at the top of the pivot; exactly the opposite of my current one) and will try to swap that in beforehand, but not sure I'll have time.

As for the car shrinking, it's amazing how well it works with just a few tweaks. A friend has a nicely modded RX-8 on coilovers that is just absurdly fast through the corners and freakishly precise in every way, and we both agreed that my 2010 GT with Konis and not a lot else felt like a slightly bigger, slightly less precise RX-8. Which is a huge compliment. The big thing is that the car simply does what you tell it; it just responds in a very analog way that goes along with all of those things you read about and learned in person driving sporting cars. The whole is decidedly greater than the sum of the parts.
The clutch was perfect though I wish it engaged a bit higher.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:16 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

I just don't get it on the clutch. Clearly you are getting the most out of the car and using all of the rpms, and have no issues. Yet it's common to have the issues I do on mine. It's like they got some right, and got some wrong, and there's no consistency in which ones are good and which are bad. There are bad ones from 11 to 14, Boss included, and there are ones that have no issues at all.

If you get time to take a look, see if your clutch pedal has the assist spring along the side AND a spring up along the pivot, or just one or the other. Mine has only the assist spring, and feels just wretched when the spring is in there and I shift above 6000rpm. Which is often, if at all possible. If I take the assist spring out it's 90% better (and 30% heavier, though even the wife doesn't object to it), but I get OCD about the pedal not returning quite to the top. Anyway, hopefully a fix is coming, I just hate that I have to make said fix on a new car. And it's made all the more annoying knowing that some mysteriously work just fine.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by todcp
Note.....The set up is excellent but not stiff enough for a true track rat.
Understood.

Sounds like a reasonable compromise for a car that sees track time that you'd still actively want to be driving on a daily around-town basis or take on longer trips. A car you'd drive to track days rather than trailer.

Norm
Old 04-23-2014, 08:22 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
I just don't get it on the clutch. Clearly you are getting the most out of the car and using all of the rpms, and have no issues. Yet it's common to have the issues I do on mine. It's like they got some right, and got some wrong, and there's no consistency in which ones are good and which are bad. There are bad ones from 11 to 14, Boss included, and there are ones that have no issues at all.

If you get time to take a look, see if your clutch pedal has the assist spring along the side AND a spring up along the pivot, or just one or the other. Mine has only the assist spring, and feels just wretched when the spring is in there and I shift above 6000rpm. Which is often, if at all possible. If I take the assist spring out it's 90% better (and 30% heavier, though even the wife doesn't object to it), but I get OCD about the pedal not returning quite to the top. Anyway, hopefully a fix is coming, I just hate that I have to make said fix on a new car. And it's made all the more annoying knowing that some mysteriously work just fine.
I took a look. Two springs. One red one along the side of the pedal and a spring that fits around the pivot at the top.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Good to know there's a difference. Perhaps they figured it out and put the two-spring pedal on Track Pack cars (which probably makes the pedal a bit stiffer) but left the rest of us with the secretary setup? Anyway, thanks for the info. New pedal arrives tomorrow and we'll see what sort of configuration it has.