Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New bushings?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 PM
kjdad

Default New bushings?

My 06GT like many others had terrible wheel hop. The car is totally stock with 60k miles. Would replacing the bushings in the rear arms help? Not sure how worn they are. Now the catch..I want the car to still fit the stock class in autox...meaning no upgraded LCAs.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix the wheel hop and still stay in my stock class?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Replacing just the bushings would improve things if you can see visible deterioration in the bushings that are in there now - probably best evidenced as cracking.

Swapping just bushings is a PITA little task and you can ruin the arm itself if you aren't careful. Times at least 4 just to get the lowers done. A better solution would probably be to get ahold of a set of low-mileage original arms from someybody who has swapped in aftermarket arms and hasn't tossed them - maybe place a "Want To Buy" post in the classifieds and look through the "Parts For Sale" section. Try other Mustang sites as well. Or source a set from a salvage yard/U-pull-it place.

Other than that, I can't offhand think of anything stock/street category legal so it'll still come down to driving the car up to the edge of wheel hop but no further.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-22-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the legality of the stock class…but can you use something that was stock on another Mustang, or does it have to be stock on your Mustang? i.e., can you use the LCAs from a Shelby GT500 or a Boss on your car? Though that probably stretches the rules, it would be interesting to note.

For instance, if I had an E46 BMW M3 and I installed the E46 M3's performance exhaust or performance brake package (items part of the BMW CSP package from the factory), would that be OK?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Here's the basic rule, and behind that is the big rule that if these rules don't specifically say that a particular mod is legal for your class then it isn't.

Originally Posted by 2013 SCCA Solo Rules - Stock Category
Except for modifications authorized below, Stock Category cars must be run as specified by the factory with only standard equipment as defined by these Rules. This requirement refers not just to individual parts, but to combinations thereof which would have been ordered together on a specific car. Any other modifications or equipment will place the car in Street Touring®, Street Prepared, Street Modified, Prepared or Modified Categories as appropriate. Configurations involving damaged parts (e.g., blown fuses) are not typically authorized by the manufacturer and hence are not allowed.

Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. These requirements are not met by simply pulling a fuse to disable a feature which distinguishes one model from another.

Alternate parts listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless their use is specifically referenced in the factory service manual or in a service bulletin for the specific model. See Sections 3.8 and 8.3.1 for documentation requirements.

Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets, filters, belts, bolts, bulbs, batteries, brake rotors, clutch discs, pressure plates, suspension bushings, drivetrain mounts, fenders, trim pieces, etc.) may be used provided they are essentially identical to the standard parts (e.g., have the same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.), are used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit. The allowance for use of such replacements does not include camshafts, differential covers, or ring-and-pinion sets, nor does it authorize the use of piston rings having different configurations (e.g., “Total Seal®”) from those of the original. Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced by similar items of unrestricted origin. Safety wire, threadlocker compounds, and locking nuts are permitted. These allowances are strictly to allow components to be replaced from alternate sources other than the original manufacturer. They should not be construed as an allowance to replace components with those which could be considered a ”higher performance” alternative. Parts available as replacements through the dealers parts department, the factory, or any other source which do not meet standard part specifications (e.g., hardness, size, etc.) are non-compliant in Stock Category, except as specifically provided elsewhere in these rules.
In stock category, brake pads, exhaust behind the converter, air filter, tires, and a few other things may be changed, and subject to a few restrictions struts/shocks may be changed.

At least some of that exhaust system would be OK but only the pads from the brake system would be.

Norm
Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Interesting, so likely the LCAs from something like a GT500 would be illegal in this category.

That's actually a little crazy given the PITA it is to replace some parts with OEM items rather than aftermarket. Good luck kjdad, Norm is right, you will likely need to find someone who is upgrading their stock LCAs.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM
kjdad

Yeah kinda sucks. I have owned many mustangs over the years and this one has the worst wheel hop. Its so bad..and difficult to control in the rain.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:14 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kjdad
Yeah kinda sucks. I have owned many mustangs over the years and this one has the worst wheel hop. Its so bad..and difficult to control in the rain.
Well given it takes about 30 minutes to swap LCAs, you could buy some aftermarket ones to run when you aren't racing and pop on the stock units when it is time to go to the track.

That also might help with the life of the used stock LCA you will likely need to find.