Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Chamber Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Further research reveals that H&R is not selling camber bolts any more. OEM Ford part is 4R3Z-3B236-AB for the "crash bolts"

Last edited by JAJ; 02-23-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 AM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAJ
Further research reveals that H&R is not selling camber bolts any more. OEM Ford part is 4R3Z-3B236-AB for the "crash bolts"
Is the Ford part strong enough for track use and full torque spec? Is it better to just file out the top strut spindle hole? Or neither. Sure wish I could get a bit more negative that the Steeda Springs and Koni allow due to rubbing.

This is what I found when using this part number. Correct?
CAM
Make: Ford | Part#: 4R3Z3B236AB
List Price: $168.60
Your Price: $113.30
Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by todcp
Is the Ford part strong enough for track use and full torque spec?
Is is truly OEM strength? Also, does the bolt and mod make the camber adjustable or do you get a single, altered camber spec?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Seems to me as soon as the appropriate bolt holes are opened up you have the ability to set anything within the range that the additional hole clearances permit.

So I looked it up anyway . . . keep in mind that this was taken out of a 2008 Service Manual when the older coarse thread bolts were still in use, so you might want to make sure that fine thread camber bolts exist. Worst case, 148 ft-lbs is still better than 80 or less.
Originally Posted by Ford Service
9. Using alignment equipment and the manufacturer’s instructions, measure the front camber.

10. Using the cam bolt, adjust the front camber until it is within specifications.
• Tighten the strut-to-wheel spindle cam nut to 200 Nm (148 lb-ft).
• Tighten the strut-to-wheel spindle upper bolt to 200 Nm (148 lb-ft).

11. Recheck the front camber settings, adjust as necessary.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-25-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Is the Ford part strong enough for track use and full torque spec? Is it better to just file out the top strut spindle hole? Or neither. Sure wish I could get a bit more negative that the Steeda Springs and Koni allow due to rubbing.

This is what I found when using this part number. Correct?
CAM
Make: Ford | Part#: 4R3Z3B236AB
List Price: $168.60
Your Price: $113.30
If that's what they cost, it gets a whole lot easier to just move up to camber plates.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-25-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: delete extra blank lines that forum software inserts
Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Here is a scan of the Ford factory "Cam" bolt. My service manager says it is a strong as the regular stock bolt. Appears to use a "cam" on the bolt head vs the bolt itself. Not sure how it works yet. Retail is indeed 168 dollars so Ford thinks it is a pretty special bolt!! It can be bought for 113.30 as stated in my post.

Need to check if the price is each or for a pair. It may be each....ouch.

Name:  cambolt_zps5901b77d.jpeg
Views: 206
Size:  150.5 KB

Last edited by todcp; 02-25-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If that's what they cost, it gets a whole lot easier to just move up to camber plates.

Norm
I have Steeda HD camber plates. Max neg camber with struts is in the -2.1-2.3 range and I would have liked to hit closer to -2.8 when at the track. Guess I will just relax about it and take the camber I can get. Not racing, just track fun.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:36 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Norm
I would much rather do camber plates, but it will push me out of F-Street. Neg. -2.0 Deg., is enough for street tires. Even -1.5 Deg. would probably be ok.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
I would much rather do camber plates, but it will push me out of F-Street. Neg. -2.0 Deg., is enough for street tires. Even -1.5 Deg. would probably be ok.
I used bolts (Eibach) one year and the threads stripped out from the repeated adjustments. They never failed except for that. This year I just plan on using a tire I can flip on the wheel so I can participate in FS all year.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Here is a scan of the Ford factory "Cam" bolt. My service manager says it is a strong as the regular stock bolt. Appears to use a "cam" on the bolt head vs the bolt itself. Not sure how it works yet. Retail is indeed 168 dollars so Ford thinks it is a pretty special bolt!! It can be bought for 113.30 as stated in my post.

Need to check if the price is each or for a pair. It may be each....ouch.

That picture looks to be correct. if you look at the struts (at least the OEM and OEM replacement type struts like KYB), they have a raised notch where I could see that CAM pushing up against it as you rotate it to give you the additional camber.

And one thing I've learned is that you can buy from several different Ford parts houses and get a better price. .

Ford Parts Giant for example lists these for $119 each....EACH!? Normally they are less than 1/3 of the dealers for all the other nuts and bolts and body plugs I've purchased from them. I wonder why they are so expensive...but don't need them so don't really care.

Quick Reply: Chamber Bolts?