Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Boss 302 Springs, shocks & struts on 2010 GT

Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 PM
mtgldr
1st Gear Member

Default Boss 302 Springs, shocks & struts on 2010 GT

I've searched and I found a couple of posts about this but most all of them are regarding 2005-2009 GT's.

From what I've read the 2010 had a different suspension than 05-09. A carryover from the earlier Bullitt cars. I met a guy that just replaced all of the adjustable suspension on his 2012 Boss 302 and I can get it for a price I can't refuse.

I know I'll need to use his strut mounts up top.

I installed the Boss springs in the rear (he's taking off the struts & shocks next weekend) it seems to have not changed the height of the car which is fine with me.

I have a couple of questions....

I've read the front will drop it @ .75" when I install his struts & springs, is this about right?

If the 2010 Car has Bullitt suspension am I going backwards? I would think the 2012 Boss would have a better setup.

The front springs are not as large in diameter as the springs in the car now, am I better off keeping what I have and using his adjustable struts or use his springs because the struts are designed for them?

Do I need to install Boss front & rear sway bars since I am using Boss springs, that was suggested in a post.

This is a daily driver, I am just wanting it to handle somewhat better. Automatic car with tunes on the way. May do a track day once a year with it and I drive fairly easy 80% of time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm not finding a lot about the 2010 cars.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Grant 302

Originally Posted by mtgldr
I have a couple of questions....

I've read the front will drop it @ .75" when I install his struts & springs, is this about right?
The 'advertised' drop for the front is only 12mm or just less than 1/2".
If the 2010 Car has Bullitt suspension am I going backwards? I would think the 2012 Boss would have a better setup.
You're not going backwards, just a tad forward.
The front springs are not as large in diameter as the springs in the car now, am I better off keeping what I have and using his adjustable struts or use his springs because the struts are designed for them?
You can do either. I think you're better off using the Boss springs or an aftermarket set or Ford Racing like T or P springs.
Do I need to install Boss front & rear sway bars since I am using Boss springs, that was suggested in a post.
If you are running a staggered tire setup (wider in the rear) use both of the Boss bars. If you are running 'square' (all four same size tires), change the front and use your rear bar or a 22-24mm equivalent.
This is a daily driver, I am just wanting it to handle somewhat better. Automatic car with tunes on the way. May do a track day once a year with it and I drive fairly easy 80% of time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm not finding a lot about the 2010 cars.
The 2010s are just the new body with most of the 'old' drivetrain and suspension.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 AM
mtgldr
1st Gear Member

Yes that helps. I will see if I can find a front bar. Should just need the brackets & mounts right? I read the bar links are the same. Do you know what the diamter is on the boss bar?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 PM
mtgldr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grant 302

If you are running a staggered tire setup (wider in the rear) use both of the Boss bars. If you are running 'square' (all four same size tires), change the front and use your rear bar or a 22-24mm equivalent.

The 2010s are just the new body with most of the 'old' drivetrain and suspension.

Hope that helps!
Measured the bar over the weekend, it's 20mm, guess that's what they put on the 2010's.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Grant 302

Yes that helps. I will see if I can find a front bar. Should just need the brackets & mounts right? I read the bar links are the same. Do you know what the diamter is on the boss bar?
Stock Boss is 25mm. Laguna Secas are 26mm.

Measured the bar over the weekend, it's 20mm, guess that's what they put on the 2010's.
Good news...that should work well. With everything you'll have on your car, it should have just a bit of push/understeer dialed in which is generally 'safe'.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:44 AM
mtgldr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grant 302

Good news...that should work well. With everything you'll have on your car, it should have just a bit of push/understeer dialed in which is generally 'safe'.
So you are suggesting I keep the 20mm bar and not bother with the 24mm GT bar? I was thinking I'd be safe withe 24mm GT bar since that's what is stock in 2011 and it's 1mm smaller than the Boss bar....

I could just get poly buishings for the 20mm bar. I just don't know enough about these cars.. LOL
Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

The stock sta-bars will do you fine. The front bar on the 2010 is the same as the 11+. The 20mm rear bar will give you some understeer, but that is a safer setup. In general, the higher the speed, the more the car will tend to oversteer. So, the small bar in the rear will help keep you from backing into a wall on your once-a-year track days.

Last edited by JThor; 04-22-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 AM
mtgldr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
The stock sta-bars will do you fine. The front bar on the 2010 is the same as the 11+. The 20mm rear bar will give you some understeer, but that is a safer setup. In general, the higher the speed, the more the car will tend to oversteer. So, the small bar in the rear will help keep you from backing into a wall on your once-a-year track days.
Got it, I'll get poly bushings and find another place to spend the mod money....