Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need Suspension Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:26 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Default Need Suspension Advice

Hello,

I'm at a complete loss. Here's what I know (From MF):

1) BBP Suspension upgrades that I have are crap
2) Eibach Pro Kit is crap
3) Coilovers are the way to go

I've got around $1200 for a suspension upgrade. I know that prices me out of the Coilover Market. I could care less about ride comfort, I didn't buy this car for comfort and at $1200, I can't imagine it'll be THAT bad.

What I'm looking for is not wasting my money. Is it possible to get a decent setup that I'm not going to need to replace? Or is it better to not bother right now until I can come up with $2500?

This is a daily driver but I plan to go to the 1/4 mile a few times a month and want something that will perform.

Is there a consolidated resource that compares the top 2-3 brands? I've read through the first few pages of threads here and will read more but I'm losing my mind.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Are you interested in taking your vehicle to this level? We can put a package together for you that will get you to your goals. Does your budget include install labor?

You can reach me at tim@steeda.com or check out our products here: www.steeda.com

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 03-17-2014, 03:50 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

TJ,

Thanks for the prompt resonse. My budget is for parts alone, including "geometry" due to lowering, Camber plates, as I suspect will be needed. The install/alignment is not included in my budget and I understand they will be extra costs.

My main goal is to plant as much of my existing power to pavement as possible for that price range. I plan to not run road courses, just 1/4 mi.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Here you go

http://www.cjponyparts.com/st-suspen...5-2014/p/STS3/

These are made by KW, they're the same as the v1's except $700 cheaper, and made of different material: zinc coated steel instead of stainless. They come with a 5 year warranty. This is my plan in a couple months.
Plus I'll be getting a panhard bar, possibly strut mounts depending on if needed.
Good luck!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Thanks Jay!

My current plan is to pick up Strano's Koni Yellow/Steeda Sport Springs kit (On Sale) and a Steeda Panhard bar. I'm waiting for him to get back to me about recommendations.

The ST above certainly makes me think twice. Coilovers would be amazing but at that price I'm a bit skeptical. I'll have to read up on ST and that set. I do appreciate the input!

EDIT: Read up on ST on Strano's site - not bad at all. I will likely never adjust them and the drop on the Steeda Springs is right where I want to be. Koni lifetime warranty > 5yr from ST also. I don't see the need to spend an extra $300. Just hope I don't regeret it in a year =)

Last edited by redCORTEX; 03-18-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Seems to me like that setup is more for handling than quarter mile. Lower, stiff springs and handling oriented dampers are going to reduce weight transfer on launch, not maximize it. Can't really offer an alternative since I'm in the handling boat, not quarter mile.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You say you want to go to the 1/4 mile a few times a month, but then you started spec-ing out handling setups. They are not the same.

For 1/4 mile, I can set you up with Strange Engineering 10-way adjustable shocks & struts, UPR drag springs, UPR control arms, and a GMS front swaybar delete. This will all fall under your budget, INSTALLED, and will make a huge improvement in grip.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
You say you want to go to the 1/4 mile a few times a month, but then you started spec-ing out handling setups. They are not the same.
Originally Posted by jRaskell
Seems to me like that setup is more for handling than quarter mile. Lower, stiff springs and handling oriented dampers are going to reduce weight transfer on launch, not maximize it. Can't really offer an alternative since I'm in the handling boat, not quarter mile.
It's becoming increasingly clear I have no idea what I'm doing, even after some research =)

@Sharad: I appreciate the information and will look into your recommendations on the UPR site. I really would like to give my business to Strano but sofar I'm having a very difficult time getting a response from him. It won't be long before I expand my search to UPR/Steeda/Other.

I went with the above setup because I felt like it was the best from what I've been reading on MF.com. I do know it's a handling setup but I was under the impression it would improve my hookup as well.

Back to the drawing board.

EDIT: While I plan on hitting the 1/4 mi and not road racing, I do need to be careful that I don't spec for drag so much that I'm unable to handle the car during daily (sometimes spirited) driving. I'm not concerned with comfort but I need to have good handling as well. Lets shoot for good overall suspension with a lean towards Strip.

Last edited by redCORTEX; 03-20-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Sartolw

May wanna look into cobra jet struts and shocks with matching springs. Just read that Ford racing is now order them for after market sale. Sorry i don't know anything about them if someone wants to add anything about them.

but yea 1/4 mile setups look into upper and lower control arms , 1 - 1.5 springs ( helps with wheel hop sometimes) with a small drop there is a good chance you can get away with gt500 strut mounts not change the camber that much. steeda hd strut mounts will do the trick. May wanna look into a light weight k member. Seen older 3v s197 pull the tires with a tune , bmr k member , light weight drag rims and radials with crown tires up front.

Last edited by Sartolw; 03-20-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: not changed to now
Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sartolw
but yea 1/4 mile setups look into upper and lower control arms , 1 - 1.5 springs ( helps with wheel hop sometimes) with a small drop there is a good chance you can get away with gt500 strut mounts not change the camber that much. steeda hd strut mounts will do the trick. May wanna look into a light weight k member. Seen older 3v s197 pull the tires with a tune , bmr k member , light weight drag rims and radials with crown tires up front.
I think I grasp most of that but it does bring up a question I forgot. "Pull the tires" seems like a bad thing. Am I likely to break something with a suspension/wheel/tire change? I have awful visions of my rear axle blowing out the back of my car...

FYI I'm fairly certain I want Nitto NT05R's just not sure on what size I can get away with.

Quick Reply: Need Suspension Advice