Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Traction Control/ Advance Track Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Default Traction Control/ Advance Track Issue

Back Story: So a while back during a time trial race my car decided that it wanted to turn the traction control on during my race which almost caused me to lose control at that point. When I race my car I completely turn off advance track to have a better feel of the car. So I took the car into Ford to have them run a diagnostic check of the engine and computer to see if they could find the cause. Well they didn't find anything wrong with the car. I've done a couple road races since then with no issues at all and I thought it was a fluke and was behind me. Well, this past weekend the car performed fine for 30-40 mins of hard driving, then during the 4 lap time trial portion the car decided to turn the advance track back on during a run. It didn't cause anything crazy to happen except that when I would shift from 4th to 5th gear the car hesitated and by the time I pulled the car into the pits advance track and traction control was fully engaged without me having to press the button.

So my question is has anyone else had this happen to them while they were racing their car and if so what did you do to fix this problem?

My only guess is that both times this happened I had a really rough shift and that there is a possibility that during the shift I somehow stalled the car for a split second then it kicked back on causing the advance track to turn back on. That is a long shot but it is all I got.

My car is tuned and I have called the tuner, American Muscle, for support and they told me that they have never had anyone complain of this happening to their car with their tune.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Do you turn it completely off - meaning that you press on the brake and then hold the advance track switch down for six seconds until the message comes up that the advance track is off?

Otherwise, pressing the switch and having it say that advance track is off, is really only putting it into sport mode. It will still be sensing the parameters and will engage if the car goes outside the sport parameters.

I have never had my advance track come back on when completely turned off, even during a spin. I have had it engage in sport mode, however.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
My car is tuned and I have called the tuner, American Muscle, for support and they told me that they have never had anyone complain of this happening to their car with their tune.

You aren't alone, and I doubt that it's anything that a PCM tune can reach.

Originally Posted by Terry Fair, elsewhere, earlier this year
Used my new AiM SOLO DL with OBD2 data streaming, which I hope can help us diagnose and fix the rampant traction control faults that happened with the new grip levels (I think the car thinks I'm crashing half the time and keeps re-arming the Advance Track system, then going bezerk). My two fastest 1:17 laps were with the rear brakes engaged for about 25% of the lap! The Boss 302R ABS module is going in the car before the TWS event this month.
I have heard where other cars (not Mustangs) can and will re-arm the stability control if ABS is activated.

Norm
Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I do completely turn off advance track every time. The issue has never occurred during an auto-x but only happens during road races. It has happened both times when I'm coming out of a long sweeping turn at high speed which is why when it decided to lock my wheels I started to spin out towards a light pole.

And Norm, I remember Terry saying that the BOSS 302 ABS is only for track only cars. That it doesn't work well with street cars. I do like to occationally drive my car around town but I will look into that for the future. Thanks.

Last edited by darksky1984; 07-22-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Back Story: So a while back during a time trial race my car decided that it wanted to turn the traction control on during my race which almost caused me to lose control at that point. When I race my car I completely turn off advance track to have a better feel of the car. So I took the car into Ford to have them run a diagnostic check of the engine and computer to see if they could find the cause. Well they didn't find anything wrong with the car. I've done a couple road races since then with no issues at all and I thought it was a fluke and was behind me. Well, this past weekend the car performed fine for 30-40 mins of hard driving, then during the 4 lap time trial portion the car decided to turn the advance track back on during a run. It didn't cause anything crazy to happen except that when I would shift from 4th to 5th gear the car hesitated and by the time I pulled the car into the pits advance track and traction control was fully engaged without me having to press the button.

So my question is has anyone else had this happen to them while they were racing their car and if so what did you do to fix this problem?

My only guess is that both times this happened I had a really rough shift and that there is a possibility that during the shift I somehow stalled the car for a split second then it kicked back on causing the advance track to turn back on. That is a long shot but it is all I got.

darksky-This is definitely a first hearing about anything like this. I'm not entirely sure what could be causing this as we don't adjust traction but shoot me a PM with your order number and I'll have one of our tuners look into this for you!

Alex

Last edited by AMAlexLazarus; 07-23-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Just a quick follow up for everyone! I just spoke with Bama and we looked at the Op's original tunes. We didn't have traction control adjusted and we're going to recommend that we get him set up with some new tunes and have him update his device. We've heard of this happening in the past but it's typically in regards to a damaged ABS sensor.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Alex
Old 07-24-2014, 05:55 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Alex, thanks for the quick response and help. I'll be in touch with you guys tomorrow about this. Hopefully this solves the problem.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Alex, thanks for the quick response and help. I'll be in touch with you guys tomorrow about this. Hopefully this solves the problem.
Sounds good! I'll keep an eye and ear out for you with the Bama team. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime and I'm here to help!

Alex
Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Happened to me today during an autocross event. I was going through an off set slalom and the traction control light came on and the computer took over. It started applying brakes and taking away power through the rest of the course. Very frustrating. Thing is, it didn't do it again the rest of the day. First and only time it has happened.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Using our car on a race track or autocross you must completely turn off the traction control. So as stated "hold the button down for five of six seconds" until it says "Advance track off".
If you leave it in sport mode and your rear begins to slide the electronics will engage the rear brakes to save the slide. Not good for the rear brake or your track times. Also loss of traction during acceleration will start to shut down the motor as well. Such as cresting a hill with the throttle on full.
So. Turn off the traction control completely if you have the skill to not lose control of the car. If inexperienced leave it in sport.

Quick Reply: Traction Control/ Advance Track Issue