Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

'13 5.0 Suspension Thoughts & Advice?

Old 08-11-2014, 03:11 PM
CoolStuffForDummies

Default '13 5.0 Suspension Thoughts & Advice?

Stock '13 Brembo GT here. I thought the stock setup was alright at first, it's stiffer than a regular GT, but I got pretty close to the limits of handling with it several times recently. I wanted to discuss the car for a second and ask you guys about some things.

The cons I see are, there's too much body movement and you can feel that the car is definitely sitting up too high. The spring rates & general stiffness of the car aren't enough for some of the situations I might get into when driving hard. For example, I've had to brake after doing 80-90 and cresting an uphill-then-downhill fast right-hand sweeper and it really upsets the car for a second, and it kinda floats over the crests at speed, etc. It also needs to transition faster & be more controlled during direction changes, & needs to corner flatter obviously.

The pros are, for one, the brakes. I have a friend with an auto-x prepped supercharged Miata as his daily, a friend with a new Golf GTi, friend with a M3 E46, they're all shocked at how hard my car brakes, all of them say their cars don't brake nearly as hard as mine. For two, the turn-in is pretty accurate, even if you overshoot your ideal entry speed by two or three miles per hour, which brings me to my next point, the car rotates well, the back end is on the light side & will rotate if you come into a corner a little too quickly, it won't normally just push and push, not like some cars do. The balance is pretty shocking for what it is, not too much understeer and i've never had it just break loose out of nowhere in a corner, you can feel it approaching the limit.

That being said, I'm not a suspension guy whatsoever. I'm an engine guy. I know I need some subframe connectors to start, and I'm also looking at tubular A-arms and K-member, it'll drop 30 lbs from the nose of the car, lol. I'm sold on those. But what i'm looking for, as far as suspension goes (for the foreseeable future) is for it to be significantly stiffer than a Boss as far as spring rates & shocks/struts go, & lowered an inch in the front and 1.5 in the back, with a stiffer front sway bar. Anybody have any suggestions? Any numbers compared to the Boss would be a great help, there is so much for sale out there I don't know where to start. Figured i'd ask some people who have a history of Mustang suspension knowledge. Oh and adjustability isn't really a concern, not anytime soon.

Also, is anybody here running a watts link? What are the advantages of running one over a panhard bar? This is something that interests me.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:34 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

How much power are you looking to add down the road & what are you going to be using your car for ... any track events?

Some more insight to your future plans would allow us to start looking at a suspension build.

We have taken our cars to the next level with our suspension parts ... here is a before & after video that was done to show some numbers on our upgrades suspension:

We have some great packages & some very knowledgable road racers, drag racers, etc. on our sales team. We can definitely meet your goals.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com for faster responses.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

For handling, shocks, struts, and springs should be first. The lowering springs will necessitate an adjustable panhard bar if you want to keep things nice and centered. I'm also a huge fan of replacing the rear control arms for improved grip.

Be careful with your tubular FRONT arm idea. I've seen LOTS of failures with those. Also, subframe connectors don't do much for 2005-14 Mustangs.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

A set of Koni Yellows and some adjustable sway bars would be a good idea. I made the mistake of auto crossing once on the RE-11s and everything else stock, so I understand. Shocks will help slow down the roll, while sway bars will limit max roll by effectively increasing your spring rate from side to side, without making you lose that back to front pitch.