Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

spherical diff bushing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:21 PM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Default spherical diff bushing

Looking for suggestions on how install a diff spherical bushing. I've heard you can freeze the bearing and install this way. Is it acceptable to bang it in with a sledge?
I'm open to other suggestions.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayh007
Looking for suggestions on how install a diff spherical bushing. I've heard you can freeze the bearing and install this way. Is it acceptable to bang it in with a sledge?
I'm open to other suggestions.
HOLY CRAP NO. DO NOT HIT THAT SPHERICAL BUSHING WITH A HAMMER WHATEVER YOU DO.

Which one did you go with? I went with the Steeda unit. Give me 15 minutes and I will show you how I did it, I just need to snap a pic.

EDIT:

OK, this may take a little fabrication on your part but it's way better than hitting it with a hammer and probably damaging the unit. You can also use this same technique to strip out the old bushing.

First thing you need to make is this:
Name:  hftkSCA.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  914.2 KB

That's a piece of 2" sch40 carbon steel pipe with 1/4" piece of carbon steel to cap it that I ****illy blew a hole in with a handheld plasma because I didn't feel like using a drill press or any of the cnc machines. Plus my way was much quicker.

Step 2:

Nut and 2 washers to provide solid backing for the nut. I used a larger thicker washer with a smaller one on top that was metric so the all thread fit right through it barely. This gave the nut the perfect surface to mate against and didn't bend the washer when used.

Name:  oqkxGGa.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  901.2 KB

Step 3:

All thread and a larger piece of pipe with a backer.

Name:  oyqzZdE.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  885.3 KB

All this stuff goes together like this:

Name:  KoBIOx4.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  877.8 KB

Once you have this thing built you can start the install process. Get the old bushing out is the first step. Depending on the unit you may have to take a file to the rear end to flatten the side of the bushing hole (Steeda has this step in their install procedure).

Once the hole is prepped and clean on the inside, place the bushing in the hole. Use the large piece of pipe on the opposite side of the bell housing and the small piece you fabbed up to touch the lip of the bushing. Place the allthread though both pieces of pipe and the bushing and tighten by hand. Then take an impact to it and impact the bushing until it sits flush with the side of the bushing hole.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 11-05-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Thanks I'll give it a shot. Looks similar to ford installation tool. I was hoping I could freeze the bearing and heat the housing, then it would fit in most of the way. No way.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Thanks I'll give it a shot. Looks similar to ford installation tool. I was hoping I could freeze the bearing and heat the housing, then it would fit in most of the way. No way.
You gotta be careful when heating the housing and freezing the bushing will only shrink it a bit, basically just make it smoother once you have the install tool. No way will it let you just slide that thing in there. It has to be that tight because otherwise there would be play between the housing and the bushing.

I run spherical on the rear-end side of my UCA and LCA and poly on the car side of those. I coupled that with a Fays2 watt's link and boy does the rear end just roll around the corners. It's a totally different car.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:50 PM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Default installed

OK did the install banged a few knuckles but got it in, one problem the upper control arm does not line up. The arm seems to be shifted too far to the drivers side. I followed the instructions and installed bearing from the passenger side. I also checked alignment that's OK. The control arm is a new adjustable. The axle is hanging. I assume the control is symmetrical so couldn't of messed that up. Where did I go wrong?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If the axle is hanging free and you still have a PHB, it will have shifted slightly, most probably toward the passenger side. It'll move back toward the driver side when the car's weight is back on the rear wheels.

A picture or two might help here . . .

Norm
Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

OK did the install banged a few knuckles but got it in, one problem the upper control arm does not line up. The arm seems to be shifted too far to the drivers side. I followed the instructions and installed bearing from the passenger side. I also checked alignment that's OK. The control arm is a new adjustable. The axle is hanging. I assume the control is symmetrical so couldn't of messed that up. Where did I go wrong?
I had the same thing happen, I just shifted it over slightly to make it work, loosened my watt's link, and let it reset itself in the proper position. Checked the tires and they were still lined up with the fender well.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:00 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Default fustrating!!!

spent about 3 hours under the car trying to get the UCA onto the spherical bushing with no luck. I adjusted the panhard bar didn't work. Used jacks to maneuver still can't get it on. Thought maybe wrong or defective UCA but the old bearing fits. I never tried to fit the bearing prior to install maybe the bearing is machined incorrectly.
Taking a break, lying under a car that long can a toll on this old body. See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails spherical diff bushing-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Can you measure the length of the sleeve that runs through the spherical and the inside dimension between the 'ears' of the UCA?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-10-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:28 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

yes that's my next move, going to borrow a micrometer at work.

Quick Reply: spherical diff bushing