Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Input on replacing wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:51 PM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

Question Input on replacing wheels

I'm ready to move on from the stock wheels on my 2014 GT, so I'm looking for some input to help me finally decide. I'm currently on 18s with 235/50. I'm in Atlanta and I work from home, so I put maybe 7K-8K a year if that.

I'm pretty sure I want to go staggard for the look. The only thing is I don't think I want to spend the money on a set of new tires to go to 19s since I can't see it being a big difference going from 18s. So I was looking at getting 18x8 for the front and using the same tires and going 18x10 with new tires in the rear. I currently have 10K miles on the car/tires. Another issue I have is with the 19s possibly having a harsher ride. My only other experience with going to 19s with low profile tires was on an Acura TL and while it looked good, hitting any bump really sucked.

For those that went 18 to 19, what are your thoughts now? Would you have stayed with 18s?

How are prices and availability now on 19s vs 18s? I know back when I had my Acura, finding 19s was a bit of a pain. The last time Tire Rack didn't have them and locally I had to get them ordered.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian
Old 12-02-2014, 10:45 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I have actually done a bit of tire/rim research lately, but looking for winter tires.
I did switch to 19" rims from 18"... but I did it by switching cars from a base GT to a Brembo package GT.
I can't say that I noticed a rougher ride when going to the 19" rims, but I did have different springs as well. I am switching to 18" rims for winter and Ill report back once they are on and let you know .

I saw a number of rims for cyber monday for sale on american muscle, many were close to $99 each, some were cheaper. Tires on the other hand are a little harder, but so many cars have 19" rims stock there are plenty of options, usually about $200 a tire depending on your wants.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

8" for the fronts is pretty narrow for a purely street-driven car unless you're going to always keep your front tire size at 235/50. For wider than 235/50 (and you're going to change out your OE wheels anyway) you might as well go with 18x8.5 or 18x9 and give your front tires better support - in 2008 the 235/50's came on 18x8.5's as the Ford's optional 18" wheel and tire package, so you could do 8.5"without thinking twice and be better off should you later choose 245/45's or possibly 255/45's for the front.

I suspect that tire size availability in 19's is better now, but I don't know how many more tire mfrs are supporting the sizes you'd need. Pirelli does in their P-Zero summer tire lineup, but there are quite a few people who aren't all that happy with that tire in the stock sizes (for whatever that's worth). Unless I had a brake rotor diameter issue to solve or the 18" sizes all went out of production, I wouldn't opt for anything bigger than 18's, and it's not really in me to recommend anything that I wouldn't be apt to choose for myself otherwise.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-03-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I would change all 4 wheels if I were you. You might think that the OEM style wheels look the same, but they are likely to be a different shade and will not match the fronts.

The S197 Mustangs have a factory option for 19" wheels which is what I have now. Tire selections are getting better and more affordable in 19" size. Even with 19" wheels there is still plenty of sidewall left on the tire. Factory size is 245-45 on the 8" wheel. IMO, they are the best compromise of streetability and look on the S197. You can go to a 20" wheel also, but that is where the sidewall gets a little too short and they are more show than go.

I recommend a 19" staggered set-up with 8.5" up front, and 9.5" in the back.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:43 AM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
8" for the fronts is pretty narrow for a purely street-driven car unless you're going to always keep your front tire size at 235/50. For wider than 235/50 (and you're going to change out your OE wheels anyway) you might as well go with 18x8.5 or 18x9 and give your front tires better support - in 2008 the 235/50's came on 18x8.5's as the Ford's optional 18" wheel and tire package, so you could do 8.5"without thinking twice and be better off should you later choose 245/45's or possibly 255/45's for the front.

I suspect that tire size availability in 19's is better now, but I don't know how many more tire mfrs are supporting the sizes you'd need. Pirelli does in their P-Zero summer tire lineup, but there are quite a few people who aren't all that happy with that tire in the stock sizes (for whatever that's worth). Unless I had a brake rotor diameter issue to solve or the 18" sizes all went out of production, I wouldn't opt for anything bigger than 18's, and it's not really in me to recommend anything that I wouldn't be apt to choose for myself otherwise.
Well, one reason to stick with 8" in the front was purely a cost thing. If I was going to go with 18s, then I would go with 8" in the front to reuse the tires. If I went with 8.5, which would require getting new tires, then I might as well go with 19s in that case. A possible brake/rotor diameter issue is also another reason maybe I should go to 19s. I'd probably hate to one day want to upgrade them and then have to buy all new wheels/tires again.

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
I would change all 4 wheels if I were you. You might think that the OEM style wheels look the same, but they are likely to be a different shade and will not match the fronts.
I think you may have misread something hehe, of course I'd be changing all 4 wheels. I was talking about the tires, ie. looking at a set of new wheels where I could reuse my existing tires instead of wasting 400+ on a set of tires for the fronts. The back I know I'd have to get new tires if I go staggered.

Factory size is 245-45 on the 8" wheel. IMO, they are the best compromise of streetability and look on the S197. You can go to a 20" wheel also, but that is where the sidewall gets a little too short and they are more show than go.
My factory wheels are 18x8 with Pirelli P Zero Nero 235/50.

I recommend a 19" staggered set-up with 8.5" up front, and 9.5" in the back.
Any reason for 9.5 in the back? I thought 10 was more common.

We have a pretty large a monthly car show about 20 mins from me on the first Sunday of the month which usually draws about 30-40 Mustangs so I'll be checking them out again this weekend to see if I can finally make up my mind.

Last edited by adrianp; 12-05-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adrianp
Well, one reason to stick with 8" in the front was purely a cost thing. If I was going to go with 18s, then I would go with 8" in the front to reuse the tires. If I went with 8.5, which would require getting new tires, then I might as well go with 19s in that case. A possible brake/rotor diameter issue is also another reason maybe I should go to 19s. I'd probably hate to one day want to upgrade them and then have to buy all new wheels/tires again.
For 2008, Ford put the 235/50-18's on 18 x 8.5" wheels. You could still re-use your current front tires, and gain the advantage of having wheels better suited to 245's or possibly 255's later on.

10" wide wheels are clearly better than 9.5" wide for 285/xx or 295/xx tires, about a wash for 275/xx, and at least do-able for 265/xx (slightly stretched). 9.5's would be better for 265's in most cases and clearly better for 255/xx.

Norm
Old 12-05-2014, 02:18 PM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
For 2008, Ford put the 235/50-18's on 18 x 8.5" wheels. You could still re-use your current front tires, and gain the advantage of having wheels better suited to 245's or possibly 255's later on.

10" wide wheels are clearly better than 9.5" wide for 285/xx or 295/xx tires, about a wash for 275/xx, and at least do-able for 265/xx (slightly stretched). 9.5's would be better for 265's in most cases and clearly better for 255/xx.

Norm
Only issue is, the 18s only come in 8, 9 or 10" wheels. The 8.5 is only on the 19" wheels. I'm looking at the AMR wheels.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:10 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adrianp
I think you may have misread something hehe, of course I'd be changing all 4 wheels. I was talking about the tires, ie. looking at a set of new wheels where I could reuse my existing tires instead of wasting 400+ on a set of tires for the fronts. The back I know I'd have to get new tires if I go staggered.

My factory wheels are 18x8 with Pirelli P Zero Nero 235/50.

Any reason for 9.5 in the back? I thought 10 was more common.

We have a pretty large a monthly car show about 20 mins from me on the first Sunday of the month which usually draws about 30-40 Mustangs so I'll be checking them out again this weekend to see if I can finally make up my mind.
I did misread the original post. I understand now. 9.5" is the most common width in a 19" wheel that's why I recommended that. At least from the wheel/tire combos that I have been viewing. IMO, the 19" or 20" wheels will give you the most dramatic visual change compared to 18" wheels/tires. So I don't think it is worth the couple of bucks you save to re-use the front tires.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:06 AM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

I did misread the original post. I understand now. 9.5" is the most common width in a 19" wheel that's why I recommended that. At least from the wheel/tire combos that I have been viewing. IMO, the 19" or 20" wheels will give you the most dramatic visual change compared to 18" wheels/tires. So I don't think it is worth the couple of bucks you save to re-use the front tires.
I visited a place this week that put up various wheels on a stand in front of one of my tires so I got to get a better idea of what I did and did not like. I started with a deep lip wheel, but saw that unless you go 20+, it actually looks smaller. I also saw what black vs charcoal looks like and I'm definitely going with the charcoal. I saw various TSW wheels, but narrowed it down to a mesh style, so I'm probably going with the AMR ones which saves me about $400-500.

So looks like it would be 19x8.5 with 245/45 and 19x10 with 275x40. Let me know what you think of these tire sizes Norm. I'll probably go with the Pirelli P Zero Neros, but was also looking at the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. At least now I've narrowed my choice down a lot more than before, which happens to be the wheels I originally started with.

Last edited by adrianp; 12-12-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Update for you, Got the 18" winter tires installed and I didn't notice one bit of ride difference. I did notice that the steering wasn't quite as sensitive, as if the extra rubber took a minuscule amount of time to respond to my steering wheel input. I don't think it's going to affect any driving since I won't be autoxing on these tires, and probably not drag racing either.
Hope that helps with your decision that you already made haha, I like your choice, but I would do 19x9 or 9.5 if they fit, basically as wide as I can get in the front and back. But I would also want to be able to rotate them since I use my car as a DD, that would mean 19x9.5 on all 4 corners, and 275's or 285's on the rubber.
just my opinion, have fun!

Quick Reply: Input on replacing wheels