Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Worth spending the money on an upper arm and/or mount?

Old 12-02-2014, 03:22 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default Worth spending the money on an upper arm and/or mount?

So I currently have lower arms and relocation brackets. I'm probably going to tear apart the suspension this winter to inspect the bushings on the arms, and weld the relocation brackets to the axle (they keep shifting).

For some time I've been debating going with an upper control arm and if it's even worth doing. If I do, I might get a mount too so I don't have to worry about the clunking.

Is it even worth doing on a lightly modded car? Also how important is it to get an adjustable upper? The car is lowered 1", if I ever pony up the cash for new springs I might lower the rear another 1/2" but that's as far as I would ever go.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ghunt
So I currently have lower arms and relocation brackets. I'm probably going to tear apart the suspension this winter to inspect the bushings on the arms, and weld the relocation brackets to the axle (they keep shifting).

For some time I've been debating going with an upper control arm and if it's even worth doing. If I do, I might get a mount too so I don't have to worry about the clunking.

Is it even worth doing on a lightly modded car? Also how important is it to get an adjustable upper? The car is lowered 1", if I ever pony up the cash for new springs I might lower the rear another 1/2" but that's as far as I would ever go.
This won't be your typical answer....

Let's start with how the car behaves, and what you'd like it do better. Then we can figure out what's a good next step. I have some thoughts looking at your signature myself, but it's my opinion and what matters is your feeling about how your car works.

Should you do an upper arm? Maybe. I suspect you might find other things to be more pleasing to the driver day in and out if you drive the car "spiritedly".
Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Well, I would like more straight line traction. I'm also contemplating getting rid of the Spohn arms for something with a better bushing design as they squeak CONSTANTLY.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:28 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

On both of my S197s, I installed the LCAs and then installed the UCA & Mount at a later date. Both times I felt like the UCA & Mount made as much improvement in stability and feel as the LCAs. That's saying a lot.

IMO, the UCA & Mount are a must! (obviously, I prefer UPR Products) Also, one cool thing for your 2005 is that by upgrading the upper AND mount, you can run the longer upper arm like the 11+ cars have. With the arm being longer, there's less pinion angle change as the axle articulates. Bonus!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I recently upgraded my UCA and LCA's and if you ever track your car it is worth it to do the UCA. I would have trouble with excessive axle movement during heal toe shifting and the UCA eliminated that excessive movement seen before. It also helps prevent any axle clunking when you get off of the gas. But if you are just worried about straight line performance then it might not make a huge difference or not if you upgrade it. But if you plan on getting into auto-x or track events then I think it is worth it. It's not that hard to install if you replace the entire unit together.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I got under the car last night...how much of a pain in the *** is it to drop the gas tank to swap out the mounts, and how far do you have to drop the tank?

I won't be able to do that until the spring anyway, I filled the tank for storage. Wasn't thinking!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:08 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I didn't have to drop the gas tank to remove the UCA from under the car. Once I removed the bolts I let the axle go to full droop and it gave me enough room to wiggle the stock UCA and mounting bracket from under the car. My replacement UCA and mount fit back up without issue as well. I only have a panhard bar so if you have a watt-link it might not fit easily.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I'm talking about the mount, not the control arm.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:30 AM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I swapped out the mount as well without dropping the tank down. I had the entire unit, UCA and mount, connected when I removed it.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Did they make a change to the upper mount? I was not able to remove mine without dropping the tank. I tried, and tried because I thought dropping the tank would be difficult.

However to answer your question, it's not difficult. I didn't fully remove my tank; just removed the bolts for the straps that hold the tank in place and lowered the tank a few inches (held in place with my floor jack).

It would definitely be wise to do this work with less gas in the tank. When I did mine I had just about a 1/4 tank. It was manageable with that weight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worth spending the money on an upper arm and/or mount?