Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Looking for insight on 06 Mustang suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:14 PM
GTOGreg

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Struts and shocks. They are called dampers in the rest of the world, because that's their job. We are the oddballs. Anyway, most cars have no axle dampers, including the S197, only the Fox and SN95's had those.
When I started looking into what I needed to do to improve/restore the suspension, I came across a listing of Mustang suspension components. The listing identified axle dampers, but did not include even a basic description of the part, or define it's functionality. I may need to go back and re-read that again..

Well this is all good stuff, I sincerely appreciate the help and taking the time to drop some knowledge on me. So far, I started tracking down some of the parts that I am need to get and found Koni STR.T(x2) Shocks @ $78ea, and (x2) Struts @ $141ea.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5

$425.99. I can charge you more if you like. But honestly, the point of being a sponsor on sites like this is to help both of us. I can't claim I'll always be the cheapest, but I always have fair pricing. And I don't see any random internet reseller on here trying to help.

As for what you read. I know you probably did. Because the internet isn't always right, or accurate. Sure some Mustangs have axle dampers, but not yours. and in fact beyond being a V-8 and RWD with a solid axle and having a pony on the front there isn't much at all in common with the cars that have axle dampers compared to yours.

I hate to say it this way, but I have to. "Free" advice isn't always free. I have to sell parts to be able to give people advice. And the random stuff you can get online that is "free" could be so far off base it's not even funny. Lots of places can sell parts. Lots of people can give you their opinions. But I'm always amazed how folks are so much more willing to listen to complete strangers online than they are in real life. In fact the next dude you see get out of a Mustang, at least is driving a Mustang which is more than you know for sure about anyone online.

Yes, you know me from the internet. But you can research me and find I've got a pretty good record with both competition, and customers, and with these cars. And you can talk to me. If you don't like what you hear, you don't have to buy anything from me...
Old 12-20-2014, 11:20 AM
GTOGreg

Fair enough, Sam, I certainly can’t argue with your logic! I would also say that the fact you are willing to put in the effort to sift through random postings in an online forum, and you are willing to help a complete stranger tells me you have a good work ethic, and that your heart is probably in the right place.

Anyway, I apologize for the delayed response, I just went and got married and have been on my honeymoon for the past week, and have not been in a position to reply until today. Admittedly, the $ 425.99 price you mentioned is better than the $ 438.00 price I found hunting around on line, however I still need a bit more time to figure out how I am going to proceed. Before I can commit to purchasing the suspension upgrades, I need to figure out some pricing for a few other things that I need to do, then see what’s left to do things that I want to do.

That said, among the things that I need to do is address a problem with my brakes that I have been dealing with for a while. I have noticed a vibration when braking, which is more pronounced at freeway speeds. I suspect warped rotors are the culprit, so I am considering the following:
• Front Rotors
• Front Brake Pads
• Brake system flush

Also, since I have had the car there has been an issue with shifting through the gears. It does not happen all the time, but occasionally when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 4th to 5th, the shifter seems to hang up. It shifts out of gear just fine, but I have to “jiggle” the shifter a bit to get it into the next gear. This also happens quite a bit when shifting into reverse. I have read in several threads on this forum, as well as a few other places that there are issues with the OEM shifter. I believe the transmission is the TR-3650:
• Steeda Sport Shifter
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM
GTOGreg

Just to close the loop, I dropped $1,700.00 and ended up replacing all 4 tires, both front rotors, both front shocks, both tie rod ends, and flushed out the brake lines. She rides a bit better, but best of all, no more steering wheel vibration when braking!!