MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S197 Handling Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section-121/)
-   -   spring choices (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/717321-spring-choices.html)

giddyup4.6 02-23-2015 01:15 PM

spring choices

I am going with koni strts shocks and struts my question is I need some input on springs I am considering going with the BMR #SP009 but I haven't really seen anything on hear about them such as ride quality and the actual ride height of them once installed my other choices are Ford K , steeda ultralites and the eibach pros also what is the advantage of using the GT500 strut mounts over the stock GT ones and is it true you can gain camber adjustment by rotating the GT500 mounts 180 degrees?? please chime in and thanks a bunch for all the advice

waykooljr 02-24-2015 11:26 AM

I can't tell how your shock/strut choice interacts with your spring choice but I can refer you to S197 GT Spring Rates and Heights , it has the springs you mentioned in the list.

The advantage of the GT500 strut mounts is that they have a higher durometer rubber isolator and I believe a better bearing which would provide firmer, better handling. A lot of people replace the stock mounts with these to get rid of the clunking noise in the front end. I think that the clunking most likely came from the end links, in the first place, which would need to be removed to install the GT500 mounts, then when the end links were reinstalled, they were tightened which is what really eliminated the clunking. If you have clunking in your front end, first make sure the end links are tight.

I've seen it mentioned on the forum and in American Muscle reviews that turning the strut mounts 180 degrees corrects camber but I haven't seen how much it corrects camber.

If you're considering the GT500 strut mounts, I would suggest getting a decent set of camber plates instead, they will replace the strut mount anyway and give you the ability to adjust your camber to meet your driving style, whether it be tracking the car, daily driving or both. When I first lowered my car with Roush springs and Tokico D-Specs, the shop I took it to required me to have camber plates. I went with camber plates similar to J&M Camber Plates, I may not have needed them at all but I figured it didn't hurt to have the adjustability. I've seen Steeda Heavy Duty Mustang Upper Strut Mounts recommended often but they cost a bit more.

Hope this helps, I guess the best advice would be to take your time like you're doing and try to do it right the first time.

Ranzo 03-01-2015 11:56 AM

I ran the BMR springs on my 2010 and it rode like a dream. I would run them again in a heartbeat.

UPRSharad 03-01-2015 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by giddyup4.6 (Post 8466651)
I am going with koni strts shocks and struts my question is I need some input on springs I am considering going with the BMR #SP009 but I haven't really seen anything on hear about them such as ride quality and the actual ride height of them once installed my other choices are Ford K , steeda ultralites and the eibach pros also what is the advantage of using the GT500 strut mounts over the stock GT ones and is it true you can gain camber adjustment by rotating the GT500 mounts 180 degrees?? please chime in and thanks a bunch for all the advice

Eibach makes FRPP K and UPR Pro Series Lowering springs to the same spec as their Pro Kit springs. I've run the UPR Pro Series lowering springs on my 2006 GT and my 2011 GT and they are a great combination of performance, looks, and ride quality. Fwiw, I think the UPR/Eibach springs are priced cheaper than the FRPP and Eibach versions.