MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S197 Handling Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section-121/)
-   -   Front Tires "cupping" (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/719566-front-tires-cupping.html)

tribefan226 05-27-2015 02:21 PM

Front Tires "cupping"

So yesterday I notice a large nail right in the middle of the tread on the front left tire of my 30k mile 2014 GT...bummer. So today I take the car to firestone to get the tire patched before it becomes an issue and the guy at firestone tells me he can't fix it because the tire is "cupped". After showing me what he was talking about I could definitely see it on both front tires on the outside treads and noticed that the inside treads were significantly more worn than the rest of the tires. I know that uneven tire wear can be a symptom of a suspension/alignment issue so my question is what should I be looking for? Has anybody else had this issue on such a new Mustang? Could it have been caused by the nail itself which was pretty large and sticking out from the tread a bit? I should mention that these are the original Pirelli p-zero all season tires

FordService 05-28-2015 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by tribefan226 (Post 8487822)
So yesterday I notice a large nail right in the middle of the tread on the front left tire of my 30k mile 2014 GT...bummer. So today I take the car to firestone to get the tire patched before it becomes an issue and the guy at firestone tells me he can't fix it because the tire is "cupped". After showing me what he was talking about I could definitely see it on both front tires on the outside treads and noticed that the inside treads were significantly more worn than the rest of the tires. I know that uneven tire wear can be a symptom of a suspension/alignment issue so my question is what should I be looking for? Has anybody else had this issue on such a new Mustang? Could it have been caused by the nail itself which was pretty large and sticking out from the tread a bit? I should mention that these are the original Pirelli p-zero all season tires

Hello tribefan226,

Welcome to the forum! Have you been able to address this with your Ford Dealer? Make sure you speak with your service manager if needed. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha

Derf00 05-28-2015 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by tribefan226 (Post 8487822)

Cupping doesn't happen overnight and it's noticeable on both tires so the nail doesn't play into it. First, go get an alignment, when you take it in, let them know the inner part of the tire is wearing excessively and to check for what could be causing the cupping.

It could be a ton of different things from improper camber or toe (inner tire wear) to imbalanced or underinflated tires.

Usually a misalignment is caused by hitting a pot hole really hard or lowering the vehicle and not adjusting the geometry of the suspension after lowering or, from continuously overloading the car.