Tire pressures on the track - MustangForums.com

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default Tire pressures on the track

2007 Mustang GT.

I'm running 295/35R19 Mickey Thompson E/T Street tires. Car weighs in at close to 3800 pounds with driver and 3/4 full gas tank and I'm running about 2.5 degrees negative camber (which is the max amount the plates give). I've only used them on one track day and they performed well, but I'm not sure what PSI hot I should be aiming for. I'm going to do a pure nitrogen fill so I don't have to fiddle with the cold temperature too much. Three purges from a Nitrogen tank should ensure most of the air is out so I can keep PSI increase to a minimum.

Advise at the track is all over the place. Some people swear by running as low a psi as possible, while others aim higher. The problem with low psi on a car as nose heavy as the Mustang is that it ends up understeering. I'm going to order a pyrometer but until It gets here I need some advise for this sunday's track day.

Thanks

By the way, ambient temperature is expected to be in the vicinity of 98f so the track is going to be pretty hot.
flash_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
proeagles
2nd Gear Member

The GT350 book says to run about 4 lbs lower cold and the pressure will build back to normal as the tires heat up. It is important to understand the tires will perform differently throughout the heat cycle. The may start out loose and soft, build to firm and perfect, and end at hard and loose. The pyrometer is absolutely the best tell.
proeagles is offline   Reply With Quote