Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Avoid Wilwood brakes

Old 08-15-2017, 02:52 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Do these calipers not have dust boots for the pistons? I'm not sure how much of that is dirt and how much are irregularities in the finish, but it bothers me to see so much of the pistons exposed. Makes me think that they might be hanging up.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

The pistons are so exposed because the pads are worn to nothing and the caliper is slightly off center. The real question is what caused the pads to wear in a taper and the stock answer is rotor exiting the caliper upside down. Other than that, there is no reason for the pads to wear in that fashion. There is clearly too much pressure being applied by the large pistons which are supposed to be down exit. Based on my view of the rotor vents, the rotors are on the wrong side of the car because the seem to be exiting at the top instead of the bottom. I would love to see a pic of the rotors to see which way the slots are if slotted.

Last edited by proeagles; 08-15-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I'll see if I can get any more pictures. There's definitely uneven pressure being applied to the pads, but this caliper and rotor kit is less than 3 months old. New fluid, Wilwood pads. 2 track days to get to that state.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

If you go to the Wilwood site and look up installation tips, it is pretty clear that there is an installation issue. The calipers are mounted incorrectly somehow. Assuming the bleed screws are in the up position, the larger piston must be on the bottom if the caliper is installed on the front side of the axle and on the top if the caliper is installed on the rear of the axle. The small piston is for the rotor entrance into the caliper and the larger piston is for the exit. Assuming all of that is correct in this case then clearly there is a manufacturing defect and Wilwood would love to know about it.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
If you go to the Wilwood site and look up installation tips, it is pretty clear that there is an installation issue. The calipers are mounted incorrectly somehow. Assuming the bleed screws are in the up position, the larger piston must be on the bottom if the caliper is installed on the front side of the axle and on the top if the caliper is installed on the rear of the axle. The small piston is for the rotor entrance into the caliper and the larger piston is for the exit. Assuming all of that is correct in this case then clearly there is a manufacturing defect and Wilwood would love to know about it.
I think you might be right. I clarified the first post. The calipers on the S2000 go toward the rear, so the larger pistons should be on top, is that correct? The weird this is the bleed valves are on the top. If you invert the caliper by switching it to the other side of the car so the larger piston is at the top, the bleeders would be at the bottom. I'll check with the owner tomorrow to see what ended up happening, because he was going to call Wilwood.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:27 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I looked up that kit on Wilwood's site and that caliper has bleed screws on the top and the bottom. The Calipers are mounted upside down. The big piston should be on top. NOT Wilwood's fault.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 PM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

If he installed them himself OOOPS! If he paid a shop to do it, he should definitely be asking for some replacement parts....
Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Or perhaps read the directions.

Search this Thread