Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tire for some street and some track

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:14 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

looks like I'm coming in late here but figured I'd chime in just for the record/in case others research this.

I was looking for tires for the same type of usage as the OP, literally same brands/tires, etc.

I have 07 gt500 rims.

I wound up with Federal RSRR tires. Significantly less than the tires listed and boy howdy do they grip.

Upside = all the grip you want in a street legal tire for nearly 1/2 the price

cons = finding them, tire comfort is not their forte', suspect in the rain (I never use mine in the rain), and sizing issues

Let me explain the sizing issues. If you want 285 squared (like I did), getting that size in these tires are gonna be a bit of a shock, as they run comically wide.

I went with 265/35 (couldnt find 40) and they fit perfectly and are just as wide or a skosh wider then the 275 Nitto's they replaced.

The tire circumference is a little less but with 3.73 gears it's still all good. It's not much of a difference at all.

overall I'm very happy with them and will be running my next autocross in October. I'm going from 6 year old Nitto NT05's to the Federals and I anticipate much better results just be feel alone.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

So just to give a follow up, I got the Michelin pilot super sports and really liked them. I did a 275 up front and 295 rear. I had tons of grip, even when it rained during the first day of the HPDE event. I would highly recommend these tires if you are looking for a good street/track compromise.