Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Track day video and Harness question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:20 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Track day video and Harness question

So this past weekend I ran at Gateway Motorsports Park. This was my second event there, and was a blast. I shaved 9 seconds off my time compared to the first run I did. Here is a video of my best session.

So now for a question. Currently I have just the stock seat belt holding me in. Well, I'm starting to push the car and I've noticed I'm fighting to stay in the seat. My instructor suggested a 4 point harness, and that I should use a harness bar with it. His reasoning was that my shoulders are higher than the back of the seat so I wouldn't want the shoulder straps to go down at such an extreme angle (as they would if I didn't use a bar) because it could compress my spine if I were to crash.

Anyway, I'm debating if I should get a harness bar, or just go for a bolt in cage. So first question, does anyone have any suggestions on bolt in cages? How much of a pain are they to install? I don't have a back seat now, so I'm not worried about any of that.

Now for the harness. My instructor recommended going with Schroth because that is what he had experience with and said they made a quality product. I normally don't mind spending extra on things that will keep me alive, but I'm wondering what the difference is between something like the Corbeau 4 point harness that is $85 and a Schroth that is anywhere from $250 to $350 for a 4 point. What harness are you guys using?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Not all track day entities even allow 4-point belts, no matter who makes them.

I put together a couple of supplementary lap belts that loop around the seat and over the OE 3-point belt. They're only for helping retain you somewhere near where you're supposed to be, not for any additional protection in the event of a crash. Never even been questioned about their "legality" or had an instructor/passenger ever object to wearing theirs. So it's at least a short-term solution.

Belting and buckles are OE GM, ugly hand-stitching mine (but it's holding up just fine with datalogged lateral g's reaching above 1.3).

Norm
Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Not all track day entities even allow 4-point belts, no matter who makes them.

I put together a couple of supplementary lap belts that loop around the seat and over the OE 3-point belt. They're only for helping retain you somewhere near where you're supposed to be, not for any additional protection in the event of a crash. Never even been questioned about their "legality" or had an instructor/passenger ever object to wearing theirs. So it's at least a short-term solution.

Belting and buckles are OE GM, ugly hand-stitching mine (but it's holding up just fine with datalogged lateral g's reaching above 1.3).

Norm
Do you know why they don't allow 4 point harnesses? I just looked and you are correct, some prohibit 4 point harnesses, some prohibit 4 point harnesses that aren't the scroth quick fit, some don't care. It just seems odd to me. Are they unsafe? I don't see how the factory belt is better than these.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Follow up question, can a 5 point harness be installed on the factory seats?
Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

I use the Schroth 4 point quick fit for tracks that allow it, and a Mighty-tite car seat tightener for those that don't.

The 4-point ban is usually two fold. One is no sub strap, even though there are harness with Anti-sub technology. The other is more organizations are prohibiting anything other than the stock 3 point without a roll bar, the logic being if the car ends up on flipping you will be safer in the stock 3 point than in a harness. Which is pretty much 100% conjecture IMO but you have to play by their rules.

As far as a sub strap on the stock seat. You would have to cut a hole in the stock seat. If you are comfortable with that then go for it. I've also heard of people doing a quasi-6 point by using lap belt mounting points to route sub straps that loop around the inner thigh and back to the mounting points.

Last edited by Stangbass; 10-13-2017 at 06:00 AM.