Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front lower control arm aftermarket and or boss front lower control arm installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Love my stang

Default Front lower control arm aftermarket and or boss front lower control arm installation

Researching installing aftermarket control arms in the front or the boss competition lower control arms in the front for an 11 Mustang found the 11 Mustang having problems with erratic steering problems hitting bumps and around corners running ibach Sports Springs Steeda front and rear end links sway bar bushings eibach rear lower control arms looking for another steering mod that will Aid and handling was thinking about the lower control arm upgrade since the rubber bushings will more than likely give a little bit also running eibach struts and shocks was told it happens on the 11 GTS well the 12 to 14 GT steering rack fix this problem based on price can get steering rack from eBay for around 200, or have to spend a thousand for a new boss steering rack thought about the Steeda X11 ball joints 4 the strength and supposedly the taller ball joint will Aid in improve geometry on lowered cars and a bump steer kit is there any professional and Technical opinions on this this is A Streetcar that gets driven kind of hard around corners
Old 11-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You need a bump-steer kit AND the ball joints you mentioned. Combined they correct the suspension geometry your lowered car has. https://www.americanmuscle.com/steed...steer-kit.html

Who told you a steering rack was needed?

P.S. You should probably also get caster/camber plates if you're mainly street driving.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:08 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Who told you a steering rack was needed?
I do know that early-year EPAS cars had a lot of trouble when control arms using polyurethane bushings were swapped in for the OE fronts. IIRC, it had to do with Ford incorporating a couple of active steering "corrections" into the production EPAS software, and as far as I know nobody has yet figured out how to reflash the pull-drift and active-nibble compensations out. Making a rack swap to a FRPP racing piece (which may not be available any longer) or a later rack the only fixes.

Originally Posted by Love my stang
Researching installing aftermarket control arms in the front or the boss competition lower control arms in the front for an 11 Mustang found the 11 Mustang having problems with erratic steering problems hitting bumps and around corners running ibach Sports Springs Steeda front and rear end links sway bar bushings eibach rear lower control arms looking for another steering mod that will Aid and handling was thinking about the lower control arm upgrade since the rubber bushings will more than likely give a little bit also running eibach struts and shocks was told it happens on the 11 GTS well the 12 to 14 GT steering rack fix this problem based on price can get steering rack from eBay for around 200, or have to spend a thousand for a new boss steering rack thought about the Steeda X11 ball joints 4 the strength and supposedly the taller ball joint will Aid in improve geometry on lowered cars and a bump steer kit is there any professional and Technical opinions on this this is A Streetcar that gets driven kind of hard around corners
Is this a shimmy clearly visible as a back and forth rotation of the steering wheel?

I've mainly replied to Derf's post because after several tries I just can't wade through your stream-of-consciousness mess. The only thing I could take from your post was that your question probably involves a 2011 with a steering issue and that a variety of parts may or may not be installed on it yet. It really is that hard to read, and I used to proofread engineering calculations and reports.

One thought per sentence, please, so we know where one thought stops and the next one begins. Derf's reply would be a good model to follow. Intended constructively (IOW, not flaming you).

Norm
Old 11-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Love my stang

I have springs , sway bar endlinks, camber plates, rear lower control arms, pan hard bar, 93 tune. I think that is all my suspension mods. Was looking to up grade front lower control arms, was reading reviews and some one wrote that he had problems with the steering rack do to the fact that his suspension was tight and the 11 rack was trying to compensate after hitting bumps in the road going around turns, the result was steering wheel was jerking back and forth, supposedly the boss rack was the only fix, but if it only happens with the 11 mustangs, would 12-14 gt s rack fix the problem, can find these on web a dime a dozen for 150.00 to 250.00 all day long. Has this happened to anyone else. I spoke to steeda and the just said early 11 s had poor design.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Love my stang

This is Love Mustang, thank you for all your post that people have replied and gave information to me. The representative from Steeda gave me the info that he just dealt with the issue when he was racing his car I on the other hand may not be able to deal with that being said it's A Streetcar so is just looking for some information whether a 2012 steering rack or 2013 or 14 would work because I have found them on eBay used for 150 bucks
Old 11-25-2017, 07:03 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I've heard that the later year EPAS units were not as sensitive - and also that the problem was not strictly limited to only the 2011's. All hearsay, since my '08 has conventional hydraulic power steering. Your best bet might be to get as late a year unit as possible. Maybe give the folks at Vorshlag a call.

For some reason I'm not always getting notices of reply to subscribed topics here, so I never saw post #4 until now.

Norm