Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear Ride Height 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:41 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Ride Height 2010 GT

Not sure, since I've only had the car a little over a week and the weather's been ****. But the rear ride height in my '10 is about 1" too high. What should I look for in lowering it to OEM? Rear sway bar? Are the OEM shocks adjustable? Just trying to track down possible areas to check...I'd searched but got so many!
As far as I know, it's OEM back there.
Thanks amigos!
N
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Can't imagine that it is OEM back there. When the weather is better, get it on a 4 post lift so that you can see what appears to be jacking it up. My initial impression was aftermarket sway bar tightened up with the wheels off the ground causing it to bind holding the car up. I had a BMW do that one time, craziest thing I've ever seen.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:47 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

I'll have to look at it this warmer weekend. get all 4 wheels off and do a complete survey of what's what.

Wonder, is it possible to loosen those swaybar bushings, lower car, then crawl under it and tighten them back up at ride height?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by GT Nate
Not sure, since I've only had the car a little over a week and the weather's been ****. But the rear ride height in my '10 is about 1" too high. What should I look for in lowering it to OEM? Rear sway bar? Are the OEM shocks adjustable? Just trying to track down possible areas to check...I'd searched but got so many!
As far as I know, it's OEM back there.
Thanks amigos!
N
if the rear coil springs aren't seated correctly it could sit higher.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 PM
JimC

How did you determine it "is 1" too high"? The Mustang is designed with a rake to it and the rear end is higher with the factory equipment.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:14 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
How did you determine it "is 1" too high"? The Mustang is designed with a rake to it and the rear end is higher with the factory equipment.
Eyeballed it.. You seem to be in the minority on rear ride height. I'm still going to check to ensure nothing's amiss as I've no history of the car...so it starts with me.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 AM
JimC

I think that you are just seeing the normal rake that a Mustang has since you "eyeballed" it. Post a picture, side view.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Nate
Not sure, since I've only had the car a little over a week and the weather's been ****. But the rear ride height in my '10 is about 1" too high. What should I look for in lowering it to OEM?
A side-view picture and some actual measurements would go a long way here. Peoples' preferences don't necessarily match the OE spec, or even other peoples' preferences. If it's only because the rear looks 'high' relative to the front, how do you know it's not a case of the front being lower either intentionally because the front springs were swapped or unintentionally because the front springs spring sagged.

Since I'm grasping at straws as it is, what are the front and rear tire size(s)? Are the wheels OE or are they aftermarket with a different width and offset?

Rear sway bar? Are the OEM shocks adjustable?
Shocks and stabilizer bars don't normally have much to do with ride height, and if everything back there is OE they won't be your cause. Adjustable shocks these days only adjust the amount of damping. Not ride height like the old Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks used to.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-17-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
A side-view picture and some actual measurements would go a long way here. Peoples' preferences don't necessarily match the OE spec, or even other peoples' preferences. If it's only because the rear looks 'high' relative to the front, how do you know it's not a case of the front being lower either intentionally because the front springs were swapped or unintentionally because the front springs spring sagged.
Car only has 57K miles...so I don't think sag is playing a part. Either they're different springs, or somewhere along its history the wrong type struts were put on perhaps.

Unfortunately, I live on a hill and the weather's been **** for days... I'm going to go to my mother's who has a nice flat driveway this weekend and I'll snap some pics. The rear is definitely higher than the front...

And the tires are all the same size. 235/50 18's
Old 01-20-2018, 03:35 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

I THINK it's one of two things.
1: The rear sway bar was tightened in the wrong position, and it's holding it up
2: When I put my new wheels and tires on, it appears the rear springs have NO DIRT on them, they look new. That and the fact that the rear cargo mat is torn I suspect there was something heavy in the rear and the previous owner put stiffer springs back there perhaps...

How hard to replace with OEM? Looks like nothing more than loosen the shock bottom bolt, carefully drop the rear diff down just enough, then put OEM types back in...

Quick Reply: Rear Ride Height 2010 GT