Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear Ride Height 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

#2 is possible.

#1 is not unless the bar is contacting something it shouldn't be. The rear stabilizer bar bushings on the S197 are not bonded to the bar, but allow relatively free rotation. They cannot generate a stiffness that would help the springs hold the car up like the OE rear control arm bushings can..

Norm
Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

I watched a video on replacing the rear springs, you're right the sway bar is free to rotate if you undo the linkages...so I think either new wrong spring, or it's not seated right. I'll check it this Friday when I'm off work.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:53 PM
JimC

Okay, you haven't show a side view shot, and you've done no measurements. Just "eye-balled" and determined it is out of spec. How do you KNOW that it isn't simply the stock rake?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

when I can put 2 fingers under the front wheels to fender and 4 for the rear that's a little high in my opinion. It's too high for my tastes, so I'll dig into it deeper this Friday.
I don't need measurements, it's high in the rear, it's my car and I want it lower...so f*ck measurements. Option 3 is get the Roush springs and bring it down about an inch, and add an adjustable track bar.

The undercarriage has enough age and surface rust I'll just replace parts a bit at a time, shocks, struts, rear springs, track bar, end links... all easy DIY.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:58 PM
JimC

That looks like the stock rake and not something different from stock really. You were complaining that it was changed and looking for some way to "fix" it. It isn't a different spring from stock has nothing to do with the sway bar, or any of the other guesses you were making. You were searching for a solution to a problem but mis-diagnosing what the problem was.

You want it level - so get the Roush springs and swap them in and you will have a level or nearly level set up. I put the Roush rear springs on my 2006 and leveled it out nicely. Make sure you cut the top "nipple" off the bump stop or you will have a very harsh ride; lower springs will cause it to hit the rail.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Nate
I don't need measurements, it's high in the rear, it's my car and I want it lower...so f*ck measurements.
Take a deep breath. If you want help, don't make it unpleasant for those who are trying, else they might put you on their 'ignore list' and you'll lose all future help.

Until you posted that picture none of us had any idea what your car looked like. My '08 never had anywhere near that much rake or tire to fender gap even when brand new and the spare had been pulled out of the trunk.

Norm
Old 01-22-2018, 06:54 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Oh, I'm not mad at anyone brother, and I thank you for your help.

See what I mean about that rake?

Do you think it's possible the previous owner put the front springs on the rear, and rear on the front? I confused my springs when they arrived in the box...

I think I'll just get new OEM's from Rock Auto and swap out the whole lot. It's about the same setup as my old Sonic

Last edited by GT Nate; 01-22-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Take a deep breath. If you want help, don't make it unpleasant for those who are trying, else they might put you on their 'ignore list' and you'll lose all future help.

Until you posted that picture none of us had any idea what your car looked like. My '08 never had anywhere near that much rake or tire to fender gap even when brand new and the spare had been pulled out of the trunk.

Norm
Hence my wonderment about the broken rear trunk mat. I suspect something heavy was back there, and I wonder if he put stiffer springs to push it back up. I'm not really sure of the spring types for a 2010...Did the track pack ones have stiffer springs?

Last edited by GT Nate; 01-23-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:53 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Verified the rear springs are OEM (there's a sticker on them I peeled off, had the part number).. So that rear height must be correct.
The fronts are a little lower..those could be worn out a little from years of Chicago area potholes. Easy replacement.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:04 AM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

Does look a bit high in the rear. Hey - back in the ‘70’s we used longer shackles or air shocks on the rear to make ‘em look like that!