Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

How can I tell if I have GT500 strut mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Nohippychicks

Default How can I tell if I have GT500 strut mounts?

I have a '12 GT that's been lowered by a previous owner. I don't know how much it was lowered or who's springs were used, but I know that Koni orange struts and shocks were installed.

I'm pretty sure the R/H strut has gone bad by some squeaks, clunks and moans it seems to make, so I'd like to replace it.

American Muscle indicates that this strut requires the GT500 strut mounts if the vehicle is lowered, so it SHOULD be a reasonable assumption that I already have them installed, but since all of this was done before I bought it, I can't be sure.

Can someone here tell me what to look for to be sure I have the GT500 mounts instead of stock?

Is it physically possible to mount the Koni struts to a stock GT strut mount, even though the GT500 mounts are "Required?"
Old 04-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I've seen pictures that show the difference but I don't remember where I saw them. If you call a place like Stranoparts or Vorshlag, they may be able to describe it.

It's the struts' attachment details at the strut mounts that differ, and they aren't interchangeable. Ford changed the strut mount design back around 2011 (not sure of exact date), but only for the non-GT500 strut mounts. The GT500 retained the early-year strut mount design for at least a couple of years.

Don't replace just one strut. Do at least both sides of the front axle. If you don't do the rear as well, you might end up with a bounce-y ride out back. Any idea how many miles are on these struts and shocks?

Norm
Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 AM
Nohippychicks

I haven't done business with those companies, I think I'll give one a call later and see what I can do!

I thought better of replacing just one, so thanks for that. I don't know the mileage on the struts, but presumably fewer than 40K miles, as that's about what's on it now and they were already installed when I got it used from a dealer who had no clue about any of the bolt-ons. It seemed to be a waste to replace both, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that they should be replaced as a set.

It sounds more and more like I have the GT 500 mounts, if you're sure that they 100% won't fit.

Thanks for your time, Norm. Cheers.

As an aside:

It seems like this forum is falling to disuse...or at least the sub that pertains to my '12. I've seen your name on other forums; which other do you suggest, so I'm not signing up to everything out there.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

PM sent

Norm