Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:29 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Anybody try the steeda bolts? I found some $80 used and will be giving those a try.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed..._adjusters.php

Don't know why they want $200 for those. Probably to make the $300 plates look more reasonable?
Old 06-27-2010, 01:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andretti
When I was initially looking into lowering my mustang I ended up purchasing the Eibach camber bolts. Later I changed my mind and decided to get Steeda Upper strut mounts instead even though I already had the Eibach ones in hand. If anyone is interested in the camber bolts pm me or something. I'm not activily trying to sell them, but if someone needs them I'd be willing to sell them for $20 or so plus shipping (they sell for $27.50 before shipping). They were never on the car and are still in the original box.

andretti
These?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EIB-5-81260K/

I paid that price for mine...
Old 06-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
These?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EIB-5-81260K/

I paid that price for mine...

wow...yep thats them...I paid $27 for them. ouch. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=35&ModelID=5
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andretti
wow...yep thats them...I paid $27 for them. ouch. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=35&ModelID=5
Lol wasn't trying to bust your ***** buddy I was just confirming for my own benefit that they were the same ones and would actually work on the car... My springs will be here tommorow .
Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 PM
The Doctor

Hi everybody,

I just joined this forum and I want to improve the handling of my 05 mustang which I primarily drive on the street. I've been looking through a part of this thread and people are suggesting the best combo for springs and struts/shocks are the Eibach prokit and the Tokico D-spec, respectively. Is that still the general consensus?

Also, is it beneficial to buy roll bars or sway bars?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Steeda Sports and Koni yellows seem to have become the currently preferred combination.

Maybe you mean anti-roll bar - a roll bar is something that you install inside the car to protect your noggin should the car go shiny side down. Anti-roll bar, "sway bar" (common usage but not really correct), stabilizer bar (sta-bar for short) all refer to the same thing. They are beneficial as long as you get them properly matched to the rest of your suspension and for what you're doing with the car. Bigger/stiffer/heavier is not always better.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-28-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 AM
The Doctor

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Steeda Sports and Koni yellows seem to have become the currently preferred combination.

Maybe you mean anti-roll bar - a roll bar is something that you install inside the car to protect your noggin should the car go shiny side down. Anti-roll bar, "sway bar" (common usage but not really correct), stabilizer bar (sta-bar for short) all refer to the same thing. They are beneficial as long as you get them properly matched to the rest of your suspension and for what you're doing with the car. Bigger/stiffer/heavier is not always better.

Norm
Would you say that shocks and springs are a good start for improving the handling of the car? Thanks for the help, Norm!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
The Doctor

Originally Posted by The Doctor
Would you say that shocks and springs are a good start for improving the handling of the car? Thanks for the help, Norm!
Also, is it true that Konis are harder to adjust than Tokicos? I heard that in order to adjust the rears, one would have to jack up the rear of the car. While for the Tokicos, one can access the rears via the trunk.

I'm sorry if it feelsl like I'm this subject but I just want to be certain.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Doctor
Would you say that shocks and springs are a good start for improving the handling of the car?
Not counting 'seat time' and tires, yes. Struts/shocks and sta-bars is another option if you can't afford to sacrifice ground clearance (or don't wish to for any reason). If you're ultimately going to do all three (struts/shocks, springs, and bars) it would be easier to swap bars as the last mod than springs.

Try to avoid confusing visual appearance with actual handling improvement. A little lowering might be good and a little more might still be OK, but it's quite possible to end up with too much drop and be sacrificing handling and other behavior instead of gaining any.

Koni "yellows" are easily adjustable without having to move anything other than the trunk carpeting in order to get at the adjustment 'stems' for the rears. They aren't the same as the older Konis (Reds? Classics?) which I think you did have to unbolt at least one end in order to adjust. FWIW, the adjustment **** for the "yellow" fronts does not fit into the space available at the rear shocks very well, though.

Norm
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 AM
UofASouthpaw

I've heard a couple times not to go with the d-spec's. They supposedly adjust both rebound and compression rates with one adjuster, which makes no sense. I was told you should either go with shocks that have different adjusters for rebound and compression, or to go with rebound-only adjustable shocks.

Quick Reply: Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT