Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT

Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Dang Norm, I could not tell how to clock the new springs, it handles great in the twisty's.
Yes, the bang was after the install and torque of all bolts. I need to do another burnout
an see if it Bangs again I guess? Thanks for your reply,Alan in sunny Seadrift,Tx.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 PM
lilredmiranda7

Thread helped alot
Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 AM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

I already posted this in my own recent thread in this section, but thought I should put it up here so I could get some more eyes on it.

From my other thread:
So of course after considering suspension stuff I want to do some things I've thought of since buying the car new over 8 years ago. Namely lowering and handling upgrades. I would be doing all the work myself. Here's a couple of options I'm considering.

Both would include either the SR (AM brand) or FRPP front LCA and new front outer tie rods or the bumpsteer kit.

Option 1
-SR Performance springs (1.5 " drop) since they're on sale right now at AM for $99
-Koni Str.T struts/shocks or possibly Strange adjustable (same price as Koni's)
-J&M or QA1 caster/camber plates (although maybe I could just get away with using camber bolts and the Ford racing strut mount upgrade?)

Option 2
-Keep it simple and go with something like the Eibach Pro-System-Plus Kit (1.3" front, 1.5" rear drop), which would probably save me a little bit of money in addition to adding a front and rear sway bar

Also aware that I should probably do an adjustable rear panhard bar, although some people seem to think it's not necessary. Any tips/advice? Am I forgetting anything you guys would consider necessary? Relocation brackets? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

After some further reading in this thread, it looks like the Eibach pros with Tokico adjustables are a popular combination. Any thoughts on how the Tokicos compare to the Strange adjustables?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

I did Roush springs all around, koni str.t shocks and struts, j&m adjustable panhard bar, steeds hd strut mounts/ camber plates with the ford k member brace and frpp strut tower brace. Handles great and is low enough to eliminate some of the 4x4 stance but doesn't bottom out or scrape on driveways or bumps.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:56 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thought I'd post a recent pick with current set up
Old 10-12-2014, 07:21 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default 2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

Nice stance, my new pony needs help, waiting on funds.
Attached Thumbnails  Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT-tn_yokohama-and-shelby-s-005.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 10:37 AM
jetmek

Originally Posted by mustangvert555
My overall opinion about the drop on the new Mustangs is simple... Don't be tempted to put stupid sized wheels on the car just because the new mustang wheel wells will take them. First of all, it defeats the purpose of lowering the car because huge 20+ sized wheels give the car an off-roading appearance rather than the mean stance that the car should have. Second, it just looks stupid... This is a good drop right here...

LEAVE YOUR MARK IN NJ AND HELP OUT A MUSTANG PROJECT AT THE SAME TIME!!

CHECK THIS OUT!!!
In case you are still on this thread, I wanted to correct you on size of tires. A 275/35/20 tire is only.3" taller than the stock 18" tires for this car and a 275/40/20 (which is the Saleen choice) is only .4" taller. Still less than a half inch taller tire. They fit wonderfully and I get HUGE compliments on my car. They may not look right to you but it does not defeat any purpose as it only brings the car up off the ground .2".
Old 04-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Whiteline
Former Sponsor

Whiteline is currently running a 25% off Lowering Spring Sale:

S197 Lowering Springs

Front Lowering Height: 35mm / 1.38 inches

Rear Lowering Height: 45mm / 1.77 inches

Front Spring Rate: 194 in/lbs

Rear Spring Rate: 274 in/lbs

S197 Lowered with Whiteline Lowering Springs
Old 09-12-2019, 06:19 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I finally did get around to lowering my '08 - probably a couple of years ago. But not out of any desire for a lower ride. I was datalogging in excess of 1.25g in the corners on road courses while still on the OE GT springs. IOW, you don't NEED to lower your car for cornering capability up around double what most people will ever use on the street.

I went with BMR's Handling Springs for a GT500 (slightly stiffer than their Handling springs for a 'regular GT') because nose dive/tail rise under hard braking at HPDE track days was beginning to bother me, and the lowering was simply the unavoidable consequence. Being lighter up front than a GT500, my GT only dropped about half an inch, and I'm completely fine with that. Never wanted any more than about 3/4" or 20mm anyway. Out back was a different story, as that end dropped about an inch. So I worked up a way to shim about 3/8" of that away to put the rear lowering at about 5/8". I'm probably going to take another quarter of an inch out of the rear lowering to end up closer to 3/8" drop.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-12-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT