Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT500 compared to Corvette C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:53 PM
walc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 compared to Corvette C6

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash
It's better to buy a car because you enjoy it, instead of the number that are produced.
Very good point.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Philostang

I have to agree, the GT500 was a big disappointment for me. I don't care for the styling (the "big-mouth bass" nose job is over done), and with an MSRP in the low $40K range (forget about what they're fetching right now), it's overpriced. I'd go for the C6 Corvette if I had that kind of money and was shopping for a $40K-$50K car.

As for performance, I'm not impressed either, and I don't see all the "changes/upgrades" to the GT. Aside from an ugly (my opinion) interior which loses the aluminum dash, you basically get the engine, trans, and brakes. The suspension was merely "tweaked" not seriously altered as in the previous gen Cobra, and the engine output can be easily matched w/a blower on our engines--and you don't tack on as much extra weight up front. Honestly, the 6-speed tranny is the sexiest thing about the car for me. Otherwise, put less money into your GT (than the difference you'd pay for the Cobra), and beat the snot out of every new Shelby-Cobra you come across.

As far as "greater potential" in the Cobra's block, sure you get that, but it will take more money to access it. So now we're upping the total cost of an already overpriced car. I'm just not willing to pay an extra $20 for the "Levis" name or the "Shelby" badge or any other label. But if that sort of thing matters to you, go for it--you'll get more name recognition with the Shelby than with the C6.

Best,
-j
I have to disagree on several of your points. First of all, to get a GT to the approximate 440RWHP of a SGT would be very cost prohibitive. Even if you ran nitrous or stuck a blower on there, the internals would not last long unless they were upgraded. A blower and matching forged internals would be in the area of $10,000, not including labor.On the otherhand, if you add just a CAI and tune to the SGT, you'reover 500 RWHP foraround $800. Add a pulleyand another $300 and you're well over that figure.By the time you get done with all your mods on your GT, you'll be lucky to be at stock SGT levels and you had your engine torn apart. And at the end of the day, it's still a Mustang GT. That's not a bad thing, but let's compare apples to apples. Yes Shelbys are overpriced. So are other icons. It goes with the territory. As far as the C6 is concerned, my friend has an 08 and it's real nice, but it is one dimensional. My .02.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

That sounds right. A full bolt on Gt500 will be in the top 10's with a good driver. A s197 GT will be in the 10's with full suspension, the right (KB, Whipple) blower and $5k of motor work. 440whp is a low number to blow a motor though, it's all in fuel and a good tuner my man...
Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mullens

I have to agree, the GT500 was a big disappointment for me. I don't care for the styling (the "big-mouth bass" nose job is over done), and with an MSRP in the low $40K range (forget about what they're fetching right now), it's overpriced. I'd go for the C6 Corvette if I had that kind of money and was shopping for a $40K-$50K car.

As for performance, I'm not impressed either, and I don't see all the "changes/upgrades" to the GT. Aside from an ugly (my opinion) interior which loses the aluminum dash, you basically get the engine, trans, and brakes. The suspension was merely "tweaked" not seriously altered as in the previous gen Cobra, and the engine output can be easily matched w/a blower on our engines--and you don't tack on as much extra weight up front. Honestly, the 6-speed tranny is the sexiest thing about the car for me. Otherwise, put less money into your GT (than the difference you'd pay for the Cobra), and beat the snot out of every new Shelby-Cobra you come across.

As far as "greater potential" in the Cobra's block, sure you get that, but it will take more money to access it. So now we're upping the total cost of an already overpriced car. I'm just not willing to pay an extra $20 for the "Levis" name or the "Shelby" badge or any other label. But if that sort of thing matters to you, go for it--you'll get more name recognition with the Shelby than with the C6.

Best,
-j
I have to disagree on several of your points. First of all, to get a GT to the approximate 440RWHP of a SGT would be very cost prohibitive. Even if you ran nitrous or stuck a blower on there, the internals would not last long unless they were upgraded. A blower and matching forged internals would be in the area of $10,000, not including labor.On the otherhand, if you add just a CAI and tune to the SGT, you'reover 500 RWHP foraround $800. Add a pulleyand another $300 and you're well over that figure.By the time you get done with all your mods on your GT, you'll be lucky to be at stock SGT levels and you had your engine torn apart. And at the end of the day, it's still a Mustang GT. That's not a bad thing, but let's compare apples to apples. Yes Shelbys are overpriced. So are other icons. It goes with the territory. As far as the C6 is concerned, my friend has an 08 and it's real nice, but it is one dimensional. My .02.
you dont need forged internals for 440 rwhp on a GT, i got a little more than that right now as do most GT drivers that are SC'd. as for HP i spent approx $6400 on go parts, not including the show parts. so that puts my total cost at 32400, or 34000 total including the rims and shifter, thats a hell of a lot cheaper than a gt500. i know that the GT500's have more than that and the internals can withstand more boost. but to match power w/ a stock gt500, i think i stack up pretty well for the price. and where i live the gt500's sell for 62000+. if i had a stack of money to burn i would have got a gt500, but i dont.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

I owned a GT for a summer and just traded it in for a GT500 in February.

Finally got to take the Shelby out for a short ride yesterday before the snow started falling again today. My GT was stock performance wise, as is the GT500. I didn't get on the go pedal too much since the car only has 65 miles on it, but it was quite a different driving experience than the GT. I can't wait to go WOT or see what an Evolution stage 2 will do to this thing. Not to mention the TVS blower upgrade. It doesn't take a ton of money to make this car a Z06, Viper, whatever killer. That's assuming those cars are stock of course

For now I don't plan on doing anything more than the Evo stage 2, which would make about 525 rwhp I believe.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

I was being conservative at 440. Most stock SGT's are pushing north of 450....
Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

ORIGINAL: Mullens

Best,
-j
you dont need forged internals for 440 rwhp on a GT, i got a little more than that right now as do most GT drivers that are SC'd. as for HP i spent approx $6400 on go parts, not including the show parts. so that puts my total cost at 32400, or 34000 total including the rims and shifter, thats a hell of a lot cheaper than a gt500. i know that the GT500's have more than that and the internals can withstand more boost. but to match power w/ a stock gt500, i think i stack up pretty well for the price. and where i live the gt500's sell for 62000+. if i had a stack of money to burn i would have got a gt500, but i dont.
Nooneshould spend 62k for a SGT for any reason.That's friggin blackmail. If that's the price point you're using then,yes, I'd throw a blower on my GT too. If you're pushing 440 rwhp in a SC 4.6 motor with cast internals good for you. I personally wouldn't, but to each his own. These mod motors are inherently strong, so maybe I'm being a little to careful. I was always taught to build a motor from thebottom up. FYI I paid just over 50k and with all my mods I'm at about 51,500 fornear 500 RWHP.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

"TC" =Traction Control. It is available on most mustangs. If you push the button that has the "TC" on it you can turn the traction control on and off.