Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT 500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT 500 Questions

ORIGINAL: redcobrasc

JMO. 1st year runs will always have a higher resale value,(1964 1/2 mustang) you can also get the 40th ann. for the 2007 model only. And if you have any spare change you could get the SSpkg. You need to drive aGT500 then tell me its just another mustang.Get the shelby and make the viper your DD
+1 very true redcobrasc, and yes, I saw that red package GT500(black w/red stripes) and it looks awesome! I am working extra side jobs and saving all my pennies(and keeping my GT's mileage down) to have enough to get a GT500 in a few years. Loved your car when I saw it last weekend at the cruise.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:14 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

ORIGINAL: redcobrasc

JMO. 1st year runs will always have a higher resale value,(1964 1/2 mustang) you can also get the 40th ann. for the 2007 model only. And if you have any spare change you could get the SSpkg. You need to drive aGT500 then tell me its just another mustang.Get the shelby and make the viper your DD
+1 very true redcobrasc, and yes, I saw that red package GT500(black w/red stripes) and it looks awesome! I am working extra side jobs and saving all my pennies(and keeping my GT's mileage down) to have enough to get a GT500 in a few years. Loved your car when I saw it last weekend at the cruise.
The white with red stripes package looks SO much better
Old 06-18-2007, 04:23 AM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

i wish i could write off an $80k vehicle as needing it for work.

lol

"yes, i need a 500hp supercharged V8 sports car to get me to work. now, write it off."
Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

A dodge man? No I don't have a particular preference between Ford, GM or Chrysler/Dodge. I just buy american cars. GT500 value is going to do what every car does as soon as it rolls of the lot (depreciate). As for value of an 02 Viper vs a GT 500 in 20 years is comical. There was only 11,412 Gen II vipers made. The gen II's will depreciate till about 10 years then they will go up in price. You are also comparing a newly released vehicle to a 5 year old car. In 30 years a Gen II Viper will be worth way more than a GT 500. Not to mention that my particular Viper their was only 350 made (Final Edition), so if your argument is that their are fewer GT500's then you are dead wrong. For collectibiility your way off base.
Not to mention that you can buy a base GT and make it look like a GT500 if you chose too. Can't really do that to a base Viper cause their really is not base Viper. lol but hey you can believe what ever you want. When I go to a car show and I park near the GT500's people don't even know it is anything but a Mustang. I almost feel bad for the two guys here that own them.
As for a daily driver, you betcha it would be a mustang. The parts are a hell of a lot cheaper to replace on a stang than on a Viper. With the exception of the hood and front fascia, most of the GT 500 body panels are the same as the GT.
Also a Viper stands out way way more than a GT500 does. Most people wouldn't even recognize a GT500 as being anything other than another mustang.

I think a lot of Mustang people are believing that the GT 500 is going to become a vehicle like the Boss 302. It is possible that it may have some collectability. I just don't think so.

Writing off a car is not such an uncommon thing if you fit the criteria. And the Ford GT500 is actually selling now for $55k, and its blue book value is $45k. The only people paying $80k are the idiots who have to have something right now. Go to Autotrader and you will find at least 30+ GT500's for sale on dealers lots. There are 2 or 3 priced at 70k and they will sit there until the price comes down closer to msrp. There are some still in the 60k region as well, and they are gonna sit there as well. At 55k they are selling very slowly. I have seen a handful sell on ebay, but then again ebay is not always legit as sometimes dealers bid up auctions as well. What is going to happen in 2 months when Ford makes another 3000 GT 500's? and another 1000 KR series? Yeah the GT 500 will hit MSRP because the demand will be saturated. MSRP is very important because that is what Ford wants to sell them for. If they are selling for above MSRP then Ford will make more to appease the demand.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM
armour845
2nd Gear Member

[:@]Is it just my imagination or aren't you the same guy that has been looking to buy a GT500, what going on 3 month's now. It seems like, if I remember right, you just bought a Viper too. Hmm, this all sounds fishy to me.

Smells like a troll to me, or better yet a kiddy with a vivid imagination.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

+1, and........ While I'm no accountant, I am self employed and familiar with car deductions. I can't see how driving 30 mi to work qualifys as a business deduction / write-off, even if you own your own business, travel must be a part of the job, NOT driving to it.
UR right armour845.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

well zan, i looked on autotrader nation wide. the cheapest i found was 55060. thats still 20k more then i paid for my baby.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

The same rules apply in Canada. As a business owner, revenue Canada cannot judge you on whether or not you should have a Focus or a GT40. It's the business owner's call on how to conduct business. They do regulate on how much you can ride off on a corporate vehicle. As long as you and your wife have vehicles in your names, you're good. Up here anything past 45K is taxable revenue.

I'm raising the flag on the rest of this thread.... Untill I see pictures and slips...

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

+1, and........ While I'm no accountant, I am self employed and familiar with car deductions. I can't see how driving 30 mi to work qualifys as a business deduction / write-off, even if you own your own business, travel must be a part of the job, NOT driving to it.
UR right armour845.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

I am not sure on how much you can deduct per year for the vehicle but I am writing off my entire lease on a 2005 Escape. Whatever I spend on it that year I write off. I think I put $3500 down and the monthly payments are roughly $251 a month. So the first year I roughly wrote off vehicle expense as $4500 and some change (bought it in June). In order to write the vehicle off I have to use it from work place to work place. You can't just buy a vehicle for getting to work, however if you have a vehicle that you take from one place of buisness to another that is tax deductible. If you take that vehicle to get supplies for your office it is also deductible. Since I have a home based private practice I am stretching the rules a bit, but I have it documented so it flies.

This thread seems to be going in the wrong direction. I was asking for some advice and it is getting turned into a who has a bigger peen thread.

But if you wanna see my car collection, I will be more than happy to post some pic's:

Not the best pic, I have a nicer one outside too just cant find it.

My Jeep! Eventually gonna rebuild it to replace the Escape for winter driving. Plow vehicle right now.
The Pickup was my brothers that my father just bought, and the POS Caddy is my fathers that just takes up space in the patient parking lot. At least my Jeep is far enough forward where I can have a vehicle park behind it!

The Family Car, well actually my wife's truck in that she uses it the most!

I only own half of this Corvette, my brother owns the other half. It's nice but 1981 Vette's were casteratted in the power department.

So, yeah I am not trolling or bull****ting. I asked some straight forward questions and had some pretty jackass retorts.

Quick Reply: GT 500 Questions