Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Got to drive a GT500!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got to drive a GT500!!

ORIGINAL: GT500OC

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

ORIGINAL: GT500OC

The Saleen has a 4.6 3V and the GT500 has a 5.4 4V (the same motor in the GT, supercar), they are not even on the same planet when it comes to torque.

Oh, and I forgot to add the best part, it's a Shelby GT500!

GT500OC
you have a beautiful car..I truly love it and the sick numbers you are putting down....was your inflated ego and elitest complex extra?....glad to see my brother who just bought his gt500 for $2500 over MSRP (in Knoxville Tn. ) ......didnt get that ego with his purchase....his car is as beautiful as well...going to go an visit him this summer and take it for a ride,,,then we are both going to the track..cant wait.....
Thanks, I think...? To answer your question/comment about my inflated ego, I wanted to let you know that the dealer was kind enough to throw it in when I purchased the Shelby! I was not lucky as your brother to get a fair price on the car as I got it a little over a year ago (3rd on in CA at the time) and I paid for the "priveledge". I hope your brother (and you) have as many great experiences in his GT500 as my 18- year old son and I have had in mine.

It's a lot of fun to drive and more fun to see how the 5.4 loves simple (but expensive) mods.

GT500OC

you are welcome...no i was being sincere with my compliments on your car and I was being a little tongue in cheek with the ego comment..LOL....your car is beautiful..I wish my brother bought the red (maybe thats why his did not come with the ego upgrade...lol) as well.(my 9 year old son, loves red) he bought an 07 vista blue, I believe it was....it was $2500 over msrp....they had 4 at the time....he also buys all his company trucks from them...I am going to take my son and we are going there in a couple weeks....going to drive his car and he will drive mine...again..as that is what convinved him to get a gt500....a little sibling rivalry...that and a great deal....I am sure he will build the sheeyat out of it as well...especially after I show him your numbers...he will be all up in it...good luck to ya.....keep safe with your beast....TJ
Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 PM
GT500OC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckman

The GT500 is a flat out sexy machine.
You have to realize that it hasn't been out all that long so people aren't seeing many modded 5.4 4v's around yet.
I love seeing how a simple CAI/tune on these cars really wake them up. They are seeming to respond very well to mods.
I look forward to seeing more in the future that drive their cars to the track and lay down the ET's. Then the haters will have no legs to stand on.
Buckman

You are correct, people fear what they don't understand, it's human nature. By the way, looks like you have a very sweet ride!

GT500OC
Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

There great cars but I think it depends on what your wanting to build. In some things the GT is a better choice though.

Just as long as there getting driven properly which your 700hp one obviously is. Cant see the point in buying on and sticking it in a garage and hoping it becomes a collectors item in 40 years. Utterly pointless in my view. Its never gonna be as collectable. They need to be driven now not wrapped up in bubble wrap and babied.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 PM
GT500OC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wozz

There great cars but I think it depends on what your wanting to build. In some things the GT is a better choice though.

Just as long as there getting driven properly which your 700hp one obviously is. Cant see the point in buying on and sticking it in a garage and hoping it becomes a collectors item in 40 years. Utterly pointless in my view. Its never gonna be as collectable. They need to be driven now not wrapped up in bubble wrap and babied.
Agreed, if you want to collect things, get a coin collection.I have set it up to run at the Drag Strip, as well as on a road course. I can run sub 1:40 at Willow Springs, which is not bad for a vehicle that weighs in at 4,130 (with driver). It is not the lightest (by far), but it is sure fun to kick the crap out of Z06's...

GT500OC
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 PM
redcobrasc
2nd Gear Member

Your son is right , their are a bunch of great guy's here along with some haters. Overall its more colorful here then at some of the shelby forum's out there. Ill see you later this month at the San Diego run though still undetermined on which Stang to bring.

[IMG]local://upfiles/66458/38A234124D7F40258FD78D3CE8317AF2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-09-2007, 08:06 PM
GT500OC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redcobrasc

Your son is right , their are a bunch of great guy's here along with some haters. Overall its more colorful here then at some of the shelby forum's out there. Ill see you later this month at the San Diego run though still undetermined on which Stang to bring.

[IMG]local://upfiles/66458/38A234124D7F40258FD78D3CE8317AF2.jpg[/IMG]
Looks like you will do fine in whichever stang that you select for the trip. Look forward to meeting you later this month.

GT500OC
Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I love the Shelby (minus all its extra pounds.....) but for what they are asking in Canada (about 20-30K over sticker on average) and what I got my GT for, the cost-benefit ratio was better for me to mod a GT with the wheels and suspension I want, and slap an S/C on it, coming out under the cost of a GT500 at MSRP (which of course, there are none). Its no Shelby, but its MY GT, and pretty much no one around here will have a similar car.

Kudos on making such HUGE hp numbers guys. Have fun with the 5.4L beast.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 PM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

I think your confused. i said my car can beat my dads charger 5.7 not the gt500. damn all you guys who have never driven one think its some ferrari. Ive driven the saleen s/c roush stage 3 and gt500and they are all comparable and if you have driven one(hard) youll know it handles like a truck. sure you can add suspension and more power butSTOCK yes it is comparable to the cars ive mentioned.and ok it has a different motor, just like every generation of mustangs have. And by the way if you dyno one youll probably only see 450 tops, torque is lower. Love the car but man its way too much money, for now.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 AM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

I love the GT500, and I usually don't put serious stock into whatever Top Gear has to say, but it did convincingly appear that the Roush was the better car on the track.
But then, the GT500 has a much better motor.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. Each car has its plusses and minuses. What a great time to be alive. 20 years ago, we'd be very impressed with 215hp
Old 09-19-2007, 03:43 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

OP----i see you now own a gt500...must've been a hell of a ride...congrats again!

i have not had a the opportunity to drive one yet..i'm sure i will soon enough. they are awesome...only bad thing from a performance aspect is they weigh so damn muc (+no aerodynamics).even my fox vert is about 1,000 pounds lighter than gt500c's with me in it(granted i have aluminum and tubular everything). obviously...that translates into them needing a lot of power. with 585whp (only 8 psi because of "stock" tremec tko) my vert went 10.40's @ 138mph (et streets)with only 2 passes (no cage = parked).the trans has been built and it now makes almost 750whp on pump (18-9psi only 18*total timing) on a mustang dynoknow as"the heartbreaker".i expect it to run deep 9'snext year when i cage it.i guess my point is i think gt500c's times aren't impressive for the power. that's not meant to be offensive but it is what it is

Quick Reply: Got to drive a GT500!!