Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT/SC process... where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Bunker

Default GT/SC process... where to start?

I'm still trying to figure out what to buy and I've gone full circle (I even thought of the Challenger for a day or 2).

I'm for sure down to 3 options:

1. Saleen

2. GT500 (if I can get one at MSRP)

3. Shelby GT/SC

The 3rd I need help on. What is the process for getting a GT/SC, do I start witha Shelby GT or do I start with a regular GT? I looked on the Shelby website and saw it was about $13K for the upgrade. The deatails page shows Mustang GT in the application and not Shelby GT. I just want to make sure what I'm getting into here so I can compare accordingly.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2007, 02:01 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT/SC process... where to start?

The only drivetrain differences between a regular GT and the Shelby GT are the FRPP intake, tune, X-pipe, and mufflers. The intake is really just a filter, the tune is still very conservative, the x-pipe is just a cut and clamp replacement for the h-pipe, and the mufflers do nothing for performance. You might as well start with a regular GT. But, if you start with a regular GT, you'll have to do a bit more suspension work than you would a Shelby GT.

Personally, I'd go with the GT500.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:17 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

you have to get the Shelby GT through a dealer, once the car has been converted into a Shelby GT (you MUST make sure the car has not left las vegas yet, OR you can buy a regular "stock" SGT and send it to an authorized MOD shop (my dad owns the one of 3 shelby mod shops in the US, Quantum Performance in Dallas TX) where they can then mod the car for you and contact shelby to get your car registerd in teh shelby regestry and stuff as a real GT/SC. if the car is on a dealer lot, it is too late to do in-house mods (i mean in las vegas) so your only other option is one of the three mod shops, Tasca Ford, Quantum Performance (Go dad!), or the one in Vegas. PM me or somethin if you need more specifics. I have the novi 1200 super charger, 20x9 black razors, baer brakes all around, billet dress up, sequentials, all that fun stuff and i LOVE the car. my dad has a gt500 (getting super snaked) and as they sit now (stock gt500 vs my GT/SC) my car is much more fun to drive, and he agrees.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Revans310
1st Gear Member

Good Post EmperorOfChicken.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
BlkSunshine77
2nd Gear Member

I read in one of the magazines recently that you can contact Shelby in Vegas directly and purchase a GT/SC from them and cut out the dealership.
The magazine was saying that you can even get your choice of the Ford screw type blower or the Paxton that Shelby advertises on their site. Either way will be recognized in the Registry. But the cost of getting a GT/SC straight from Shelby was estimated around $50k.
Seems a bit high to me, considering the MSRP's for the GT500's are around there.

I forgot which magazine it was, but it was really interesting and a current month ford mag.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Bunker

thanks for all the info, 1 more question though:

is the only difference between the Shelby GT and the Shelby GT/SC the addition of the 20" razors and the supercharger? I was looking at the shelby site againa nd the upgrade I thought was actually the CS8 upgrade.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

the only difference is the super charger. the brakes and wheels and all the other goodies are additional mods that you get to pick your self. you could get a shelby GT/SC and a shelby GT and park them next to eachother and the only exterior difference would be the side stripe that says GT/SC instead ofj ust Shelby GT. i opted for the 20x9 razors and the baer brakes and the dash gauge pod etc etc because i wanted a fast fun and unique car. there are probably 10 other shelby GT/SCs as optioned as mine, and i believe there is not a single one EXACTALLY like mine.