Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Collecting research

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 PM
redwarrior

Default Collecting research

I hope I have arrived in the correct forum.

I have a friend that is getting close to reaching a decision on a sports car and I would like to get some input from the Ford World.

He likes a Mustang Shelby GT but has to waitfor one to arrive and I think is a little more than he wants to pay. If I remember correctly.

He is thinking about a Mustang GT and doing a supercharger and some mods to get increased horsepower. He can afford this asap and will probably do this.

Dreams of a Z06 Corvette but will not spend that much.

I am trying to convert him to German engineering and put him in a 1999-2001 Carrerafor about the same $$$$ he can spend on the Mustang GT and the mods.

So what do you guys here think he should do and how will the Mustang GT perform if he decides on the mods.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
steele901
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Collecting research

how much does a 1999-2001 Carrera run?? i see supercharged gt's for sale on ebay for around 25K

you can probably get a c5 zo6 for around 30k now as well.

but yeah, a porche would be sweet too
Old 01-21-2008, 02:58 PM
redwarrior

1999-2001 Carrera runs about 35 to 40k depending on the options and mileage.

Would like to hear from those who purchased the Mustang GT and added the supercharger was this route worth it or would you recommend just waiting on the Shelby?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I think adding the S/C to the GT was well worth it!....no regrets on my end and very customizable with the GT as a base car! JMO J
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
redwarrior

Thanks mygt500.

He hasn't done anything yet so just waiting to find out what kind of decision he will make.

BTW, about how much to add the Whipple SC with install?

I thought he said that Ford could add the SC before delivery and the cost was about a 1k, but that didn't sound right to me, is it?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
redwarrior

Just an update to everyone here thatoffered their advice my friendarrived the other driving his new Shelby GT500 red with white stripes.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 09:53 AM
zporta
5th Gear Member

well thats a nice ride...
Old 03-02-2008, 10:14 AM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

Right choice!!! Let the fun begin. The gt 500 is more of amuscle car than a sport car,but do some suspension mods and that will help.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I thought he said that Ford could add the SC before delivery and the cost was about a 1k, but that didn't sound right to me, is it?
That's bull****, the factory supercharger costs 8k with the warranty.

Carreras are nice if you get wheels off of the modern cars and get the coupe in a good color (hint: silver will be a mistake)...

GT500's trump them all though.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 PM
redwarrior

Right choice!!! Let the fun begin. The gt 500 is more of amuscle car than a sport car,but do some suspension mods and that will help.

ORIGINAL: Legion5

That's bull****, the factory supercharger costs 8k with the warranty.

Carreras are nice if you get wheels off of the modern cars and get the coupe in a good color (hint: silver will be a mistake)...

GT500's trump them all though.
Thanks guys.

Drove the car today and must admit its a muscle car as someone stated above but the body sure does roll trying to get it through the corners at high speeds must have something to do with that weight balance of 53% in the front and 47% in the rearwith 3,920lbsthat Ford thinks is ok.

As far as the "GT 500s trump them all" comment not sure why that was needed but yeah I admit your right. Trumps everything in that 50K range. BTW, haven't seen a Stang or any Ford product hang with any of us on a road course.

Quick Reply: Collecting research