Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

SHELBY'S ACTUAL RWHP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:03 AM
flg2010
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SHELBY'S ACTUAL RWHP?

Yup my bad.. ther Z51 has 430, but that is stock and the car weighs less then the GT500. Like the other posters mentioned I'm not paying over sticker for a car... ever.

So I still think a 44k Z51 is a better value then a 54k GT500.

I would rather have the GT500 but the Z51 is an upgrade for me a few years for now and I won't feel like I'm gettign ripped off.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

And for the price the Z51 will out handle the GT500 and in many respects the car is better than the GT500 IMHO in every way!.......

ORIGINAL: flg2010

Yup my bad.. ther Z51 has 430, but that is stock and the car weighs less then the GT500. Like the other posters mentioned I'm not paying over sticker for a car... ever.

I would rather have the GT500 but the Z51 is an upgrade for me a few years for now and I won't feel like I'm gettign ripped off.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

Yea I agree about paying over sticker but then again the vette is only heading in one direction value wise. If Ford doesn't get greedy with high production the shelby will retain most if not all of it's retail value over the years. Look at the 03-04 cobra..
I can pick up an 05 vette that stickers anywhere between 45-60k for around 30-38 depending on options. Thats a 30% or more loss in two years time. I agree the vette is more car for your dollar and I would probaly go the same way but don't for a minute think you will save money going that route in the end.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:23 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

why would anyone think that a manufacturer would quote RWHP?[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 03-23-2008, 03:25 PM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

ORIGINAL: mygt500

And for the price the Z51 will out handle the GT500 and in many respects the car is better than the GT500 IMHO in every way!.......

I am with you on that J. I love Mustangs but the Vette is a beast.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Red08Shelby

Ahhh, Z51 Vette refers to the suspension package. That package only offers larger, drilled rotors and a more aggressive suspension package, and the SuperCar F1 Eagle tires. Also, it depends on the year you have. For example, I have a 2005, which is the LS2, stock is 400 hp (with or without the Z51 suspension package). The newer 08 Corvettes have a new engine, plus it depends if you have the by-pass exhaust option, roughly 430 to 439hp.

I have some mods onmy Corvette, &it has approximately 475hp now, withRWHP atabout 405. I can't be sure because it has had some changes and the custom tune has not been tweaked again for those.

I have a new 08 Shelby GT500 also, and heck, I have no idea how much HP it has. I know they say 500, butI have not even been able to get the HP down yet!

I suspect I will be making some mods, first on the suspension to address the wheel hop! Then maybe a C&L CAI, along with some tuning, and an exhaust change, maybe Pypes muffler eliminator. Should be fun! Then I will find a dyno to find out what the numbers really are. BUT, that doesn't mean a thing if you can't get it to the ground. And, I admit, Ihave a slight problem gettomgthat HP to the ground and hooked up!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I just watched that Top Gear Video, and I thought he said 447 RWHP.
447rwhp=525crank hp (15% drive train losses)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Red08Shelby

Ahhh, Z51 Vette refers to the suspension package. That package only offers larger, drilled rotors and a more aggressive suspension package, and the SuperCar F1 Eagle tires. Also, it depends on the year you have. For example, I have a 2005, which is the LS2, stock is 400 hp (with or without the Z51 suspension package). The newer 08 Corvettes have a new engine, plus it depends if you have the by-pass exhaust option, roughly 430 to 439hp.

I have some mods onmy Corvette, &it has approximately 475hp now, withRWHP atabout 405. I can't be sure because it has had some changes and the custom tune has not been tweaked again for those.

I have a new 08 Shelby GT500 also, and heck, I have no idea how much HP it has. I know they say 500, butI have not even been able to get the HP down yet!

I suspect I will be making some mods, first on the suspension to address the wheel hop! Then maybe a C&L CAI, along with some tuning, and an exhaust change, maybe Pypes muffler eliminator. Should be fun! Then I will find a dyno to find out what the numbers really are. BUT, that doesn't mean a thing if you can't get it to the ground. And, I admit, Ihave a slight problem gettomgthat HP to the ground and hooked up!!!
Stop Kissing GM's Buttocks! Corvette's are nice cars but they are a dime a dozen. If you want to buy a real sports car buy a Viper. They come from factory really fast and really really torquey. Not to mention they are not very common and they hold there value very well. They are hand built and the engine's are beasts. You want to mod a car, how does 1800 rwhp sound?(on a 3500lb car).
Mustangs are not "True" sports cars. Technically they are a "Pony" car but everyone will always consider them part of the Muscle Car family.
Comparing a Mustang to a Corvette is like comparing a Fighter Jet to a Bomber. Different kind of car with a different kind of driving style.

Sure you can beef up a Shelby to compete in a straight line, but you are never ever going to be able to hang with a Vette, Viper or Porsche on a road track. The Stang just ain't built for that. It stands with too high a center of gravity. 1/4 mile it can do very well, but that was kind of what it was built for.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:53 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I just watched that Top Gear Video, and I thought he said 447 RWHP.
+1
Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zan186

ORIGINAL: Red08Shelby

Stop Kissing GM's Buttocks! Corvette's are nice cars but they are a dime a dozen. If you want to buy a real sports car buy a Viper. They come from factory really fast and really really torquey. Not to mention they are not very common and they hold there value very well. They are hand built and the engine's are beasts. You want to mod a car, how does 1800 rwhp sound?(on a 3500lb car).
Mustangs are not "True" sports cars. Technically they are a "Pony" car but everyone will always consider them part of the Muscle Car family.
Comparing a Mustang to a Corvette is like comparing a Fighter Jet to a Bomber. Different kind of car with a different kind of driving style.

Sure you can beef up a Shelby to compete in a straight line, but you are never ever going to be able to hang with a Vette, Viper or Porsche on a road track. The Stang just ain't built for that. It stands with too high a center of gravity. 1/4 mile it can do very well, but that was kind of what it was built for.

vettes and vipers always go neck to neck. However, id pick a new z06 or the zr1 any day over a viper. Dont get me wrong, I love the vipers but to put them in a class a "world class handling" cars is just wrong. Vipers are not know to curve through turns, maybe rubber. I would say the vette is are most euro sport car we have. There light, handle well and always have plent have hp at a very much cheaper price then those from euro.

and when it comes to 1800rwhp, thats just called money. If you have enough of it; you could make a kia run 9's.

lingenfelter makes plent of vettes hitting 1000hp w/ out ripping apart the motor as so does hennessey makes 1000+hp vipers.

Quick Reply: SHELBY'S ACTUAL RWHP?