Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

WHY DO GT500's come with 3.31

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
I changed to the Steeda LCA's on my 08 GT500 and the wheel hop stopped...all else under the car is stock except for a dyno-tech 1 piece DS
I think I should just do the first because the upr is PITA looks like?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

That was the only thing that disappointed us about our GT500.
We had 4.10's in our 06GT and well with the power change from the GT500 at first we didn't notice but after we settled in with it we def. noticed!

Sure do miss those 4.10's especially considering the GT500's gears.
But we are not modding it at ALL until our extended warranty expires.
The GT was one thing but these cars are much more expensive and we
want to make DANG sure it stays in warranty. ESPECIALLY since we got the extended warranty.

Many people say it's a waste but I KNOW it's not.
Had some friend of ours have the flywheel problem and the whole clutch system
and tranny had to be redone and our dealership covered it under the extended warranty. We have had no signs of it after almost two years of use (even though our mileage is LOW), but we cross our fingers it won't happen.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:15 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Blacksmoke, what mileage are at now? I am at 8800km no clutch issues yet, except the chatter and hiss
Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Tbirdman951

Does my 2007 GT500 have any electronic speed limitation?
Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
Blacksmoke, what mileage are at now? I am at 8800km no clutch issues yet, except the chatter and hiss

I'm at about 9300.
No issues on mine, unless the things I think are not issues ARE.

As far s chatter, I get none except for when I let loose of the clutch too slowly, which I'm told again is normal. It actually did this when I first drove it bad because I wasn't used to the clutch and when I did get used to it it was not there. Again only there now when I do as I did when I FIRST drove it.The only time I get hiss is the short second where the clutch is neither engaged quite or disengaged.

I was told at that point in the clutch movement, both if I let go of it slowly as when I first drove it all of them do this with chatter, and I was told the hissing when the clutch is in between being engaged or disengaged all the is normal. Even the TSB says this.

Is this what you know to be fact as well? Or are these indeed signs I do have the start of the TSB and have had them the whole time with them not getting any worse with the 6k mi. we have put on it?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

It all is normal, not all cars have the exact same sounds, feel from what I can tell
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

The gt500 tsb clutch / flywheel hype was so exaggerated in its prime.. Countless gt500's had the repair / replacement performed whether it was truly needed or not.. So many of us owners went to our dealers at the peak of this craze and cried foul and had it done.. Now I'm not discounting the facts behind the obvious design flaws but I'll bet you many just pushed for it because of many who planted in their heads that you have the issue.. I for one am glad I had the tsb done and the better clutch and flywheel installed... Had mine done about 40,000 miles ago... I did appreciate the new pedal feel etc.. So many will state if your car was built before this date.. Then you need to have it done , period... Again facts are facts, there is a design flaw... But not everyone's car will automatically react the same .... Heat, location, driving habits, city driving, street driving, daily driving etc... Allot of factors
Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I get nervous about the whole clutch thing. Im pretty sure mine is still stock and wasnt fixed under the TSB.

However, Im learning how to drive this clutch come hell or high water. Both my 06 and 10 were manuals and I never had any problems with those clutches. I thought this one might need to go because of the symptoms.

Then I let my wife drive it.

How embarrassing. She hasnt driven a clutch since our 89 Probe. She got the hang of it by the third take off and she's got none of the symptoms.

So in my case, it's definitely the wet ware. I guess Im just letting it out too slow after years of the GT clutches

PS - I havent let her drive since. I told her next time, she's walking if she tries to pull that again! lol
Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tbirdman951
Does my 2007 GT500 have any electronic speed limitation?
Yes, I believe 155
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Tbirdman951

How do I remove the speed limiter? I am going to run the Texas Mile in October and hope to run over 155. I ran the Northwoods Shelby Meet at Elkhart Lake 2 weeks ago and ran 140 down the front and back straights untill I overheated the brakes!

Quick Reply: WHY DO GT500's come with 3.31