Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

OMG Major annoying drivetrain NOISE??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:37 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default OMG Major annoying drivetrain NOISE??

Anyone else have this?? When the clutch is out and you are in neutral and way WORSE with the AC on, sounds like a bike chain that needs oil!! Sounds like clutch/trans noise??

HELP!!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: OMG Major annoying drivetrain NOISE??

totally normal due to the dual disc clutch and high performance tranny etc...it is even listed in the owners manual to realize that this noise will exist etc...it does not annoy me, but I do hear it when sitting as you described...
Old 06-11-2008, 03:07 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I FOUND THIS!!
this one applies, noise is a bit worse with the AC on

19923 2005-2008 - MUSTANG MANUAL TRANSMISSION GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE
ALL 2005-2008 MUSTANGS WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED AND THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL. GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. IF THE NOISE IS BELIEVED TO BE ABNORMALLY LOUD, PLEASE COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIR. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308 FOR ADDITIONAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/16/2007
Old 06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

I FOUND THIS!!
this one applies, noise is a bit worse with the AC on

19923 2005-2008 - MUSTANG MANUAL TRANSMISSION GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE
ALL 2005-2008 MUSTANGS WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED AND THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL. GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. IF THE NOISE IS BELIEVED TO BE ABNORMALLY LOUD, PLEASE COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIR. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308 FOR ADDITIONAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/16/2007
you do realize that we have a different transmission etc in our gt500's than just a regular mustang gt etc..right? (Seriously not trying to be a smart *** at all)
we have a TR-6060 6 SPEED TRAN WITH DUAL DISC CERA-METALIC CLUTCH
FROM PAGE 8 OF SHELBY OWNERS MANUAL
Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal. The noise will be most noticeable when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can also occur when driving away from a stop.
I'm sure you read this and if you do not feel comfortable with the noise still then by all means bring i to the dealer and advise them....good luck...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

OOPS, I attached the wrong bulletin there was one for the GT500 as well
Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Cameron57

I personaly hate the tranny in the shelby I think I may have found the solution to the problem. Atleast for mine. Mine has problems with reverse and when it is pushed hard.Example powershifting, or just try to go to reverse.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
SBKRider
2nd Gear Member

I took mine in for the AC noise. It was almost a rattle. I was told there is a TSB on the AC clutch pulley thing. Mine was even leaking a little apparently. My Compressor was replaced under warranty.

They also replaced the clutch packs in the rear end. You think the AC noise is bad...the rear end noise was horrible...

The noise referred to in the manualis the clutch "hiss" noise I beleive. Maybe not.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:01 AM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

The noise sounds like pieces of the transmission are falling off inside.It's gear and input shaft racket or rollover if you will.Wasted trip to the dealer for sure.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:44 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 08 Bullitt 2310

The noise sounds like pieces of the transmission are falling off inside.It's gear and input shaft racket or rollover if you will.Wasted trip to the dealer for sure.
People at stop lights look over and shake their heads!![sm=wtf.gif] I wonder what they are thinking??[:@]
Old 06-14-2008, 02:05 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SBKRider

I took mine in for the AC noise. It was almost a rattle. I was told there is a TSB on the AC clutch pulley thing. Mine was even leaking a little apparently. My Compressor was replaced under warranty.

They also replaced the clutch packs in the rear end. You think the AC noise is bad...the rear end noise was horrible...

The noise referred to in the manualis the clutch "hiss" noise I beleive. Maybe not.

no actually the hiss noise is in addition to the transmission noise as the hiss is heard when clutch is partially depressed and let out whereas this noise is more apparent when clutch is out all the way and car is in neutral..the AC noise is a separate issue that I have heard from the dealer they have had to replace the same partrs as you stated above..

Quick Reply: OMG Major annoying drivetrain NOISE??