Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT500 Pedal Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default GT500 Pedal Pressure

While talking with Adam at ST Motorsports today, he informed me my current clutch (RPS single street/strip rated @ 600 lbs tq) would probably not hold the power my car will be making. So he talked me into a clutch from Clutchmasters, a dual disc set up. He stated the pedal pressure was just like that of a GT500. I've heard the clutch pressure is rather good, meaning, not alot for how much power it holds.

So since I have never sat in or pushed the pedal in a GT500, can someone here describe or compare it to another Mustang?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 Pedal Pressure

Very precise, very tricky till U get used to it, very easy to chug if you are not precise with the gas and release, also very NOISY!! Chatter and HISS is par for the course...............Hope this helps!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

So pedal pressure is like what?

The unit I'm getting is supposed to have solved all of those issues you were talking aboutand is much cheaper than the Ford replacement ($1300). Last year I saw it cost $1800 and change just for parts for the GT500 clutch. That's pricey. Although if the clutch went out you would just need to do the discs and flywheel resurface.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

The clutch is very fussy on gas/release!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

the clutch is pretty stiff and is more of an on off than a regular gt..... the grab point is pretty high... at least on mine and its kinda rough to get a smooth start unless you constantly take off at 1500 or so.... NOw that i have been driving the car for a while now i dont have problems... i think now that the clutch has some miles on it, it smoothins out a bit... As for the noises... yeah it hisses and chatters.... but its at low rpms and normally your never in that rpm range.... im talking like 900rpm ish... after that you hear nothing.... and unless your on a narrow street or your garage, you'll never notice the hiss....
Old 07-12-2008, 06:49 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TimeForPain

the clutch is pretty stiff and is more of an on off than a regular gt..... the grab point is pretty high... at least on mine and its kinda rough to get a smooth start unless you constantly take off at 1500 or so.... NOw that i have been driving the car for a while now i dont have problems... i think now that the clutch has some miles on it, it smoothins out a bit... As for the noises... yeah it hisses and chatters.... but its at low rpms and normally your never in that rpm range.... im talking like 900rpm ish... after that you hear nothing.... and unless your on a narrow street or your garage, you'll never notice the hiss....
+1....my 10 yr old son...loves the hiss....: whenever I am leaving he comes out to the garage and yells dad, make it hiss...LOL...when i first got this car I had some getting used to the clutch,,,but now..no issues..
Old 07-12-2008, 06:52 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

Oh meant to tell you... in everyday traffic.... its not bad at all....... but when stuck in traffic..... well its a pita.... but i think its got more to do with our cars gearing.... if i had some 4.10 gears i wouldnt have to constantly slip the clutch in traffic... hope this helps you... and just so you know, i have driven a 400+hp evo with the Clutchmasters dual disc set up and it was much much better than the exedy clutchs that evo guys live by....
Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

lol, i kinda think the hiss is cool too, never had a car that did that....
Old 07-12-2008, 06:57 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

hey cheftjpeck, did you find the ford cai you were buying?? I seen you are on an svt site and asking about the cai.... did you find a good price on one? I think in the future i might do the cai,pulley and tune but for now it has to wait since im gonna try to pay the car off first.... so no mods for me now.... but i cant stand the quite *** exhaust of this car lol.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:12 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TimeForPain

hey cheftjpeck, did you find the ford cai you were buying?? I seen you are on an svt site and asking about the cai.... did you find a good price on one? I think in the future i might do the cai,pulley and tune but for now it has to wait since im gonna try to pay the car off first.... so no mods for me now.... but i cant stand the quite *** exhaust of this car lol.
yeah I changed my exhaust before it left the showroom...my car came in on May 9th and I started it up and said..no way...[:'(]..had them install the borla frrp stingers....made a HUGE Difference...I am still looking for the cai...I can get one for $685 picked up from local,..,or have one shipped for $659 plus the $22 shipping...basically $681...I am still looking..I am just hoping that paypal sends me a coupon again for ebay then I can get the one from blue oval for $620 plus the $25 shipping.....I wrote paypal and asked for a 10% coupon for july...nothing yet...I am stil going to shop around and see what is up ....no rush for me...the only mods I will do is the cai and tune....and for me it is more of a look thing thats why I like the frrp one (IMO) yeah..I am a long way from paying mine off so...I want to enjoy it while I am paying it...however I wish I had your resiliance to hold off..I do love this car though...SORRY TO HIJACK THREAD OP..

Quick Reply: GT500 Pedal Pressure