Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

How powerful is the stock GT500 motor??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default How powerful is the stock GT500 motor??

Well if any of you were wondering just how powerful the GT500 motor could be in it's stock configuration.
Well here you go.

Stock bottom end
Stock Eaton blower
Innovators West Overdrive Pulley
Metco Idler
Small Pulley
C&L Intake
Zex Nitrous

Currently making 670 rwhp through a big heavy automatic. If I still had the 6 speed it would be 800+/- at the rwhp. Didn't need a Whipple or KB to make that happen. The motor has huge HP potential in it's stock configuration.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:28 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How powerful is the stock GT500 motor??

ORIGINAL: PLstang

Well if any of you were wondering just how powerful the GT500 motor could be in it's stock configuration.
Well here you go.

Stock bottom end
Stock Eaton blower
Metco Idler
Small Pulley
C&L Intake
Zex Nitrous

Currently making 670 rwhp through a big heavy automatic. If I still had the 6 speed it would be 800+/- at the rwhp. Didn't need a Whipple or KB to make that happen. The motor has huge HP potential in it's stock configuration.
WOW>>>>>That is just sick...[8D]...too bad so many people just think the gt500 sucks....of cours I am not one of them.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I just had the Eaton ported and I should have some good numbers from it pretty soon. We dyno'd it but we had a problem. The GT500 dumps boost under load. I think it's a safety so less experienced drivers won't damage the motor. We found with a piece of vacuum tubing and rerouting one line you can solve the problem, only thing is when we put the ported blower on we put the vacuum back to stock by accident. When we dyno this week I'll let you guys know what a good number for a ported Eaton is.

The vacuum issue is why you see most GT500's leaving so slow on the line, even with DR's. Reroute the one line and it will leave like it was ment to! If you have a problem leaving with power let me know. About $2.00 in parts (that are easily put back to stock) and the problem is solved.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: PLstang

Well here you go.

Stock bottom end
Stock Eaton blower
Metco Idler
Small Pulley
C&L Intake
Zex Nitrous

So you went to an auto transmission!? Aside for more consistent runs, why? Hopefully you have a built trannyand with the right bands and clutches to deal with that power.A 130HP drop to the RW vs a maunual tranny seems a bit high just because of the tranny. You're saying you put out over 920Hp at the flywheel (to have 800Rwhp with manual)and have a drivetrain loss of roughly 28% with an auto (to get 670)???

Your math is off.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

The trans is a Turbo 400 with transbrake, tool steel inputs and drums with aluminum high speed drum. Built for 1100hp. Neal Chance TC and Mark Williams custom DS.

It will handle the power and then some!! Went with this trans because the car is so heavy, it's still complete street trim. We lost 100 at the rear wheels when we installed it about 70 hp ago. We could have gone to a built C4 or a AODE (both are faster transmissions and have less parasitic drag) but both of those would have had to be refreshened far to often because of the weight of the car. I felt going with the Turbo 400 was the best bet.

I went with an Automatic for several reasons. It improved the 60' immensely coming off the transbrake with no clutch slippage the car went from a 1.8 60' to a 1.5 60'. The engine never comes out of boost with the shifts so even with the lower HP the car actually increased MPH from a best of 126 to what you see below in my sig. I'll be it we could have gone with a different clutch set up but this was the most cost effective way to reach our goals.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

I'm kind of hoping the DRs will take me from 1.8s 60' stock F1s to 1.5s 60'.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:39 AM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

that is some sick numbers....
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mobydick

I'm kind of hoping the DRs will take me from 1.8s 60' stock F1s to 1.5s 60'.
Well If you find that the car seems to stumble when it starts to hook then it's most likely dumping boost. Mine was fine till I put slicks on it. When it really started to hook it would come out like it was on motor alone then about 50 to 70 feet out come alive, like it was pi$$ed off! My friend kept asking me if I was spraying itbecause it was that big a difference. I actually had to let him drive it so he could see what it was doing! When theRichard Leslz can't cut a better 60' then me.....it's the car. Went back through it and found the problem.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

amazing and awesome
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
oldschoolera
2nd Gear Member

awesome numbers!

Quick Reply: How powerful is the stock GT500 motor??