Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Ready for Mods. Is FRPP the way to go?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Bksnake

Default Ready for Mods. Is FRPP the way to go?

I have an 2009 Shelby GT500. I have about 1500 miles on it. I hear if you add a tune, CAI, and pipes you should go with the FRPP parts to keep it in warranty. Is it true that Ford has to install to keep warranty? Where is best online place to by Ford parts?
I live in Memphis. I hear the best Tunner around here is DynoSpeed. They use the SCT programer for there tunes and dyno. If I buy the Ford stuff that comes with a pre-set programer, can I override that programer and buy the SCT X3?
I guess what I want to know is. Is the Ford stuff the way to go.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

The Ford stuff will keep warranty but it is not as much power gains as aftermarket. I use the sct programmer and will get the JLT cai soon, I thought about the FRPP stuff but it is rated at 40 crank hp and the other packages are closer to 50-100 RWHP, So gee I wonder?? Either way you will not be disappointed I wouldn't think!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ok...CAI are CAI....its all in the tune....it is all in the tune....so if warranty is your concern get FRPP cai...and the pro cal tuner.....then down the road get a custom tune and increase the hp by a little more....its all proven by Justin at VMP...see link here
http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698
its all in the tune...so dont let anyone tell you there CAI is better...their tune might be different...I got the FRPP CAI and pro cal tuner and will be installing on thursday..then I will get a custom tune this fall..so if I have to take into shop..I can reload pro cal tune etc...now this is a little more expensive way to go if you buy new...me I bought the FRPP for $300 from a member on another forum...then pro cal reflash $150....but you choose...but dont believe the hype on each ones CAI as it is the tune...

Last edited by cheftjpeck; 08-29-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

best place to buy...go to svtforum and there is a ford dealer Tousley ford...he sells for just a small markup...whether you stick with ford or not though..pleae note NO MOD can void your warranty...it can only void that part yopu mod.the dealer must prove your mod caused the issue...now if you use ford parts they are a little more receptive to fix problems...it depends on your dealer...good luck and congrats..
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

a CAI can be changed back to stock very quickly.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Bksnake

Thanks guys. I have been on youtube and listen to all the aftermarket exhaust. I am worried about "Drone" I have a friend that has the FRPP exhaust. He said just a little more sound no drone. I know he bought the "drag pack 1" or something as a kit, about $1300. It comes with the programer. I don't want that programer, but the combo package is cheaper. I have heard thatthe SCT tune is the way to go. I know that DynoSpeed uses this programer. I have not talked to them yet. I will. I don't want much more than stock.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bksnake
Thanks guys. I have been on youtube and listen to all the aftermarket exhaust. I am worried about "Drone" I have a friend that has the FRPP exhaust. He said just a little more sound no drone. I know he bought the "drag pack 1" or something as a kit, about $1300. It comes with the programer. I don't want that programer, but the combo package is cheaper. I have heard thatthe SCT tune is the way to go. I know that DynoSpeed uses this programer. I have not talked to them yet. I will. I don't want much more than stock.

Check out the Corsa Touring A/B. No drone and a little louder than stock at idle/cruise. When you get on it she comes alive.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 AM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

I have a SCT X-Cal 3 Power Flash programmer with 3 custom VMP tunes already installed on it for the stock air box. 91, 92, 93 octane. I paid $450.00 from VMP and I will sale it for half price $225.00. It makes a pretty big difference over stock. It is in brand new condition in its original packaging. I just recently added a FRPP Power Up-grade package and I am planning on staying with that tune, so I am selling my SCT and tunes. You could buy it now and then buy a CAI and new tune for the SCT later.

Let me know if you interested. I will be out of town until Saturday, but give me a call if you like. My name is Brian 281-825-2825.

P.S. I hope that this is ok to post like this, if not, please feel free to remove my post.

Thank you.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

How does the SCT compare with the FRPP set up as far as seat of the pants feeling on the road??
Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
How does the SCT compare with the FRPP set up as far as seat of the pants feeling on the road??
I would love to know this as well. as I am installing the frrp upgrade witht he pro cal tuner..but am seriously considering to get a custom tune from Justin at VMP this fall on my xcal 2...so before I sink in the extra change..I would love to know the difference...otherwise I may just not do it...I will know tomorrow how the seat of the pants feel between stock and the FRPP upgrade is...just got my procal tuner today..will be installing it tomorrow AM...woo hoo...

Last edited by cheftjpeck; 08-29-2008 at 08:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ready for Mods. Is FRPP the way to go?