Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Some Questions From a Prospective Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

Default Some Questions From a Prospective Buyer

Rather by happenstance, I've been offered an '09 GT500 for a grand under MSRP. Since it's an acceptable color and (blessedly) has a minimum of options, it's getting some serious consideration.

Questions -

1) Why aren't the track numbers on these better (with 500 HP they should be in the mid-12s stock)?

2) Are the 3.31s a bit of a pain in getting it rolling? Am thinking that the thing to do is have the Ford store install a 3.73 or 4.10 gear as part of the deal.

3) Am having a hard time accepting such a cheap boring interior at this price point (heck, the one in my GT looks better). How have others reconciled themselves to this aspect?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:06 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Well, I believe they are in the mid 12's or better stock, and with minimal modding 600-700 hp is not hard to achieve, also I have the red interior so it is very nice and dressy!!
Also 3.73 will make a world of difference, these cars are built as a road car rather than a track car!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

1) depends on the driver, i have personally seen a brand new one taken to teh track and run a 12.18...but the guy was one hell of a driver... and this was on street tires. But teh car has it in it... just some can get teh most out of the car and then some cannot

2) Yes the 3.31 gears blow, the car would be great with 4.10's i think, but how agrressive u want to go depends on how useful u want your gears =)

3) How can u say that the Gt500 interior is cheaper than a gt?? I had a Gt and i think my gt500 has a nicer interior, the leather dash, the brushed alum. bezels instead of the chrome.... steering wheel is different...... The changes might not be dramatic as some may want but i like the difference between the 2cars.... remember this isnt no luxury car.

If you say u can get the car for 1k under sticker than thats a deal.... as for the options.... im pretty sure that theres very little options that vary on each gt500.... only things i can think of are the shaker 500 or 1000 w/ sat radio.... nav and thats about it.... unfortunately none had the passanger power seat and no heated seats... but those were things i could live with and some thing u play with once then forget it anyways..
Old 08-27-2008, 06:55 AM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, Where else can you buy 500 hp for that price? I don't know what your GT looks like inside, but the leather trim and dash accents, along with the steering wheel and cobras embroidered into the seats look pretty snazzy to me. I was in a friend's 350Z the other day and I certainly wasn't wowed by it's interior. The GT 500 is, as someone else mentioned, a road car--the interior is very comfortable and suitably understated.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I love it!!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the comments. Just really starting to research the GT500 and didn't mean to offend anybody with my characterization of the interior. Being old enough to remember when '68 KRs were new, my perception of things was shaped back then. It's ironic that in the late '60s Shelby performance was essentially stock Ford but the interior and exterior were really jazzed up. Now, it's rather the opposite.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

haha i would rather it be that way for all of our benifits...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
2005mach1
4th Gear Member

Traction is a big part of the slower times
Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

dont worry, you didnt offend anyone, you were just stating your opinion like i stated mine... no harm done =) So have you thought about it yet?? You gonna pick it up?? Make sure whatever you decide we get to see some pics.

Nick
Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Vicious GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thewheelman
and cobras embroidered into the seats look pretty snazzy to me.
That was one of the things that turned me off.

Quick Reply: Some Questions From a Prospective Buyer