Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT 500 owners...Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default GT 500 owners...Question

I have to know if any people who bought and OVER paid for there GT500 or KR...how they feel now that the new 2010 GT500 is basically a KR for half the price.. I mean the New GT 500 is better in design, performance, interior....

I know getting what hot when it comes out..i paid sticker for my 06 GT that i sold last Aug..as i prepare to try to buy a 2011 GT 500..i hope..

But buying a GT 500 for 10-20 grand or more then the sticker..now that i can now get one for less then sticker..but who wants a 09.. i would be so pissed..over paying for something like that..especially since they are not all that exclusive and seem to making as many as they can sell, with Ford practically in toilet..

I mean there awesome cars..and would love to have one...but looking back how do you feel on the purchase??

Be Honest...i really want to hear from those unsavy buyers who paid over sticker...and many did.. i prolly might have been one of those buyers..as they are awesome cars..if i could drop the cash..

Last edited by torch red; 02-05-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: adding
Old 02-05-2009, 03:07 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Honestly?

I would be bummed out if I had paid 5k-10k over the sticker price...but I didn't.

I'd buy mine all over again. It is soooo much fun to drive.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:20 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

i really dont think its leaps and bounds better...there are some interior things i like in the new ones but others i dont...and oh that 40 more hp? well for 1200 bucks i can have 120 more hp... i also dont like the new exterior as much...dont like the new side stripes or the rims at all...my fav thing about the new 500 is grabber blue
Old 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

+1 I'm not feeling it for the new body style.....but that's just me!

I also didn't pay over sticker for mine.

In regards to the new one being a KR? Well if it was a Super Snake then I'd be bummed out. However, the KR is more about being a limited production rather then being a true upgrade in performance. Heck, I'd run a KR with either my Shelby GT500 or my Gt and it wouldn't even be close.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:54 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torch red
I have to know if any people who bought and OVER paid for there GT500 or KR...how they feel now that the new 2010 GT500 is basically a KR for half the price.. I mean the New GT 500 is leaps and bounds better in design, performance, interior....

I know getting what hot when it comes out..i paid sticker for my 06 GT that i sold last Aug..as i prepare to try to buy a 2011 GT 500..i hope..

But buying a GT 500 for 10-20 grand or more then the sticker..now that i can now get one for less then sticker..but who wants a 09.. i would be so pissed..over paying for something like that..especially since they are not all that exclusive and seem to making as many as they can sell, with Ford practically in toilet..

I mean there awesome cars..and would love to have one...but looking back how do you feel on the purchase??

Be Honest..
no regrets at all: then again bought mine for $500 below msrp in May 08. now to some of your points above lets discect some of your info / opinions you posted above

Ok, for the price you say you are getting a car that is not that exclusive, well I disagree with you a little bit there....facts are facts and fact is I have 1 of the 6513 coupes built in 2008 and 1 of the 869 in my options..so in a nation of mustangs, I still feel pretty confident that is pretty exclusive company. Then again I did not pay $46,800 for exclusivity, I paid $46,800 for a better motor, with supercharger some slight suspension upgrades, the SVT/Shelby name and a better platform than the Gt to begin with based on that....basically an extremely fun car straight out of the factory.
now to your second point to compare the 2010+ gt500 to the KR is incorrect and inaccurate. first off it is not the same car by any means...I am not justifying or agreeing with the price of the KR, but lets be factual here. there are other mods in the KR that are NOT in the 2010 gt500 base model. if you Buy a KR you are intending on its exclusivity of a little over 1100 made I believe...again, not justifying the price, but by no means is the 2010 gt500 the same as the KR.
as far as the 2010+ gt500....so far I am not fan of the body style. I will wait until I see one in person, but I do not really like the Nissan Altima body style...but that just my opinion..so if I were to do it all over again, I would buy my car today for the same price of $500 below MSRP without a single regret. especially if you throw in the 2010 + Body style as your argument against the 2007-2009 gt500 as to me there is no comparison...
Old 02-05-2009, 04:26 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

I have to agree with Chef on this and to his points. The other thing is the suspension on the KR is different than on the GT500. There is also alot of carbon fiber that was added, the shifter I believe is different and the fiberglass hood. Those are alot of pieces and parts that have to go on to the car to make it a KR.

There is always improvements made when Ford uses the same platform but reskins the car. Sure we might not have all the bells and whistles that the new ones are coming out with. We only had one choice of rims where the 2010 will have a choice of 2 rims.

Would I do it all over again? I sure would. They have only made between 21,000-22,000 of the 07-09 models. How long do you think Ford is going to produce this next GT500? 4-5 years maybe? I am thinking more like 3-4 years. How many will they produce per year? 8,000-10,000 cars? Carroll Shelby has already said that he has a long term agreement with Ford that will take the company into at least the next generation of Mustangs.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:10 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure the car market will support 10K over. It's a different time.

More importantly, who is the person in your avatar pic?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 AM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

lol, I agree with the avatar! No regrets on buying my 07 vert. KR's are a different animal and the '10's are not the same as a KR. Besides, you can't get a KR in a convertible, and there's something special about having the first in a series.....
Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 AM
redfirevert06
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torch red
I have to know if any people who bought and OVER paid for there GT500 or KR...how they feel now that the new 2010 GT500 is basically a KR for half the price.. I mean the New GT 500 is better in design, performance, interior....

Be Honest...i really want to hear from those unsavy buyers who paid over sticker...and many did.. i prolly might have been one of those buyers..as they are awesome cars..if i could drop the cash..
I understand your comment, but do you really think that someone who paid $70K for a 07 GT500 is going to come here and tell you the truth? Even though they can rationalize their decision to themselves, they aren't going to tell you that they made a horrible decision.
(Unless of course the money they used was part of their retirement fund, then it may not have been such a bad decision, since the stock market has taken such a beating over the past 4-5 months. lol)
To be honest with you, I doubt they really care what you think. They got the car that they wanted, regardless of price. That is the beauty of capitalism.

I will say that due to the ADM's, I had to wait for a while before I had the opportunity to get one. One of my deciding factors to get the current model vs wait for an 2010, was the look of the car. I like the traditional Shelby colors and style (white or blue w/ stripes). While I do like the interior refinements in the 2010, and the 40 extra HP would be nice, the exterior was not nearly as attractive to me. (I think the 07-09 GT500 is one of the best looking mustangs ever made, plus the current model is a beast with 500 HP and can easily be increased)
Fortunately I paid a little below MSRP, but had I known that the economy was going to take a dump, I could have waited another 4-5 months to get one at invoice or better.

Not to be a dick, but the funny thing about this topic is that the only people I see asking this question are the ones that haven't had the opportunity to own a GT500. To me, they are a blast to drive, they look great, they are a great platform to build on, and regardless of production numbers, you don't see them out on the roads very often. A car is usually going to be a horrible investment. That is why you must get what you want, when you want it, or you will never be truly satisified......cause you will lose your butt if you decide to change your mind midstream.

I wish you all the luck in your pursuit of a GT500. Personally I would wait for a 2011 model...make sure they get some of the bugs out.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Wyomustang

I just bought my 09 Gt-500, the dealer was going under so I got it for $43,000 well below invoice.

Never even liked Fords but this one won me over, it's so much fun to drive.
The body style on the 2010 is awesome but I have never bought a car without seeing what I can do to it with aftermarket parts and my 09 is no different. So the body style wouldn't make much a difference to me because I planned on changing it weither I got an 09 or 2010 and as for the extra 40hp I was already planning on getting this baby to about 600whp...

I think when you're spending this kind of money you have to find one that you really like and when you do not worry what's coming out in a year or two because cars will always get better for the most part, and if you keep waiting you may never end up getting one....seize the day i always say!! cause you'll never know if you'll be dead tomorrow..hahahaha

By the way, does anyone know how many GT-500's were built in 2009?

Last edited by Wyomustang; 02-06-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: GT 500 owners...Question