Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

doubts from Spain gt500

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
TorqueM

Default doubts from Spain gt500

Hello,
I am from Spain and I am thinking of buying a Ford Mustan GT500. I wanted to ask you if this model has any known problems, namely the engine... or any important failure. It's because in Spain there's no enough availability of pieces.
Could you tell me the real combined consume has this model?
Thanks a lot!
I wish someone could help me...
Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

There are known problems with the clutch. Some fail as low as 3000 miles. I would suggest a GT with the auto trans if you have problems finding parts especially if it will be a daily driver. The gt 500 clutch is heavy and ground clearance in the front is not very good either.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

im sure the gt500 is a kick a@@ car in spain. I'd get it lol. There are plenty of aftermarket parts. Its just a matter of international shipping or getting it from other parts of europe, namely places like england or germany.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I'd convert it to 21 liters per 100 km in real world driving.

Also that's a interesting question to ask. The GT500 has both the MOST reliable engine and matching transmission on the planet of any non-deisel passenger vehicle. It's litelrally probably the most reliable gasoline engine and transmission setup in history to see production.

Last edited by Legion5; 03-31-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by awakeinAZ
There are known problems with the clutch. Some fail as low as 3000 miles. I would suggest a GT with the auto trans if you have problems finding parts especially if it will be a daily driver. The gt 500 clutch is heavy and ground clearance in the front is not very good either.
I've heard this too the clutch is weak and also driveshaft is not very good (it's from a truck). If you're going to import it have them upgrade both and you'll appreciate it.

http://www.lightningforceperformance...841-p-888.html

http://www.brenspeed.com/dshaft07gt500.html
Old 03-31-2009, 04:53 PM
TorqueM

Originally Posted by Legion5
I'd convert it to 21 liters per 100 km in real world driving.

Also that's a interesting question to ask. The GT500 has both the MOST reliable engine and matching transmission on the planet of any non-deisel passenger vehicle. It's litelrally probably the most reliable gasoline engine and transmission setup in history to see production.
Quote:

I've heard this too the clutch is weak and also driveshaft is not very good (it's from a truck). If you're going to import it have them upgrade both and you'll appreciate it.

http://www.lightningforceperformance...841-p-888.html

http://www.brenspeed.com/dshaft07gt500.html

Thanks everybody for your answers.

With regards to what you have said, I don't understand very well... on the one hand, you say it's a good engine and transmission, but on the other hand, you say the clutch and the driveshaft are not ok.

I have already seen that the new GT500 2010 is going to be released, so I'd buy this one. Do you thing the problems you talked about will be solved in this version?
I have found this article talking about this:

"The twin-disc clutch on the six-speed manual transmission has been significantly upgraded, improving drivability and NVH. The discs on the 2010 Shelby GT500 are larger – 250 mm in diameter compared with 215 mm in diameter on the outgoing model – and made of copper and fiberglass to make them more robust.

A unique component of the twin-disc system is the control of the intermediate disc. Rather than floating, it instead has six straps that control the engagement of the clutch, improving drivability."
http://www.jbcarpages.com/ford/mustang/2010/

If 21 litres per 100 km is the combined consume, could you tell me which is the highway consume?

And... How is the carīs behaviour in mountain curves or closed curves roads??
Greetings!

Last edited by TorqueM; 03-31-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Yes, The GT500 has a different clutch in the 2010, not sure about the driveshaft but I don't think there is really a problem there anyway?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Agree- different clutch will be a big improvement. What about ground clearence?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 AM
TorqueM

What about ground clearence?
What do you mean by ground clearence?

---------------------------------

So for a normal use (without going to circuits and something like that) do you there are no problems (known) with any car component (including clutches and driveshaft)? donīt you?

Do you thing it is a very resistant car (engine, etc)? It is because in Europe cars are a lilttle bit delicate and not much resistant, as for example some BMW's or some italian cars.

Greetings!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
zporta
5th Gear Member

i dunno either... i lowered mine w/ FRPP springs and have no issues... now granted im going super slow over speed bumps 2 prevent any rubbing...

Quick Reply: doubts from Spain gt500