Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

tire pressure on gt500 takeoffs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Default tire pressure on gt500 takeoffs?

i got a set of gt500 takeoffs in february, and was just wondering what psi i should run these bad boys. i don't have a shelby manual as i just have a gt and i don't think i should run the same specs as that in my door panel.

thanks a bunch and sorry if this has been answered on numerous occasions.

<---shelby envy.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

They're 35 psi all around I think. Just run all tires at 30 PSI if you're not sure in the future.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

35psi
Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Bksnake

I have a 09 with the factory wheels. I have been running 25 lbs. in all tires for about 15,000 miles. I do this because it helps the ride and traction. My back tires are getting close to the end of there life, but I can't find that they have worn unevenlly. They look fine. I took a chance on running low pressure because I had planned on replacing them anyway.
The tire I want is the Nitto. My problem is they don't make the factory size tire. Should I run a little bit taller tire, or a little smaller one. I know that the taller one will hurt my rear end ratio but I don't think that will matter because I can't hook up that great out of the hole. I hear the New Nitto NT05 is the way to go. I want to mantain my fatory SVT rims.
I will check back later for comments, Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 06:28 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bksnake
I have a 09 with the factory wheels. I have been running 25 lbs. in all tires for about 15,000 miles. I do this because it helps the ride and traction. My back tires are getting close to the end of there life, but I can't find that they have worn unevenlly. They look fine. I took a chance on running low pressure because I had planned on replacing them anyway.
The tire I want is the Nitto. My problem is they don't make the factory size tire. Should I run a little bit taller tire, or a little smaller one. I know that the taller one will hurt my rear end ratio but I don't think that will matter because I can't hook up that great out of the hole. I hear the New Nitto NT05 is the way to go. I want to mantain my fatory SVT rims.
I will check back later for comments, Thanks
the taller the sidewall the better the traction...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 PM
07 naja

[QUOTE=2cokeman;6288502]35psi[/QUOTEtt

Thats 35psi on the coupe but the vert is 32psi.

Vic
Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

thanks everyone. i was at 28, glad i caught it.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by r3velation
thanks everyone. i was at 28, glad i caught it.
If your priorities are anything like mine you're definitely better off at 28 PSI. This pressure will noticeably increase your traction, and ride comfort at the expense of tread longevity and MPG.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Frank S

I hope y'all don't mind my resurrecting this thread; I think there is some worth in a couple of remarks:

[QUOTE=07 naja;6290157]
Originally Posted by 2cokeman
35psi[/QUOTEtt

Thats 35psi on the coupe but the vert is 32psi.

Vic
I wonder why that is. The convertible needs a softer ride? It's a bit heavier, should have equal or higher pressures, no?

Lower pressure - to a point - makes better traction in the back wheels, for acceleration. Lower pressure in any tire results in the sidewall doing more work in cornering, makes for less responsive steering, and is dangerous at sustained high speeds.

Tire Rack dot com has some excellent tech pages, including one with a chart of recommended pressure increases above normal inflation, for a range of higher speeds. I just saw a sticker sold by an eBaY vendor, purported to be a GT500 item, that recommends inflating the tires to 40 PSI in order to avoid tire failure at speeds over 150 MPH.

There is almost never a simple answer to "what's my pressure supposed to be?" I got a set of those GT500 takeoff wheels and tires, ran them at 35 front and rear until a trip to Texas for some fast driving. Before leaving home I set them at 38, which was in line with the speeds I expected to attain. Should have added another pound or two, as I actually did get up there pretty good, according to GPS.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frank S

I wonder why that is. The convertible needs a softer ride? It's a bit heavier, should have equal or higher pressures, no?
Probably for comfort.

Quick Reply: tire pressure on gt500 takeoffs?