Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Ughh, decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shredfan
The insurance alone isn't the problem, its the insurance + the gap between trade value on my GT and what they want for theirs that is the issue really.

The car went another full week on ebay (that I saw) and it didn't hit the reserve price, so its still sitting on the lot. When I was there, the guy told me they had "tons of offers" to end the sale around 38-39 but they apparently rejected all of them. I'd hate to see this thing just sit and sit there because they want too much
Honestly, stick to your guns. If you have a certain price in mind that you need to be around, don't fall for those types of statements from dealers!

FWIW, if you are truly interested in the car that they've got, I would go and talk to the salesman, explain to them what you would be willing to do to buy the car and drive it off the lot. If they continue with the game of "turning down all those previous offers", leave them your number and let them know that you are actively looking yourself and that if they get tired of that car sitting on their lot to give you a call and if you haven't already bought one, you'll come back and talk.

The economy is in your favor right now...remember that!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:51 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I'm actually looking to do the same thing, trade in my GT and get a used GT500. for the power goals I have it makes more sense for me to do that than to build the motor and supercharge my GT. even if a lose a little money on my GT I still come out ahead in the end to hit my performance goals.

I've been finding lots of GT500's on ebay with low miles right now with a few at dealers which will make it easier for the whole trade thing and financing. don't believe all that pricing crap, that's just dealer games. like 05 mustang said, don't try and haggle and argue with them, give them a price and leave your number, they'll call I'm looking at all the GT500's listed at $38,000 - $40,000 with no bids, there's no way they're turning down high offers left and right when they're not going for that much on ebay. look at the big picture too, if they're giving you a lot for your trade it may not make sense to haggle a lower price on the GT500, but if they're giving you a low price on your trade get a lower price on the GT500.

you'll probably lose a little money on the GT, I probably will to, but why are you getting the GT500? if it's the same reasons as me then you want more power with the reliability of a built motor, fuel system, drivetrain, and upgraded brakes. I'm looking at the Kenne Bell stage 2 for my GT, that's $6,300 plus shipping and misc installing costs doing the labor myself. that basically maxes out the GT, the clutch, engine, drivetrain, fuel system, everything is at it's limit with a little safety margin. to go past that power level you need to build the motor, drivetrain, fuel system, tons of money if you want to safely go past 550whp. now the GT500 only needs a Kenne Bell stage 3 for $6,000 and you can have 800whp on race gas on stock everything, that's sick!!! I'm sure the whipple is the same way, I just mention the KB since that's what I'm looking at.

so for me it makes more sense to ditch my GT and get the GT500, even if it's a $10,000 difference between what I sell my GT for and what I get the GT500 I'm still ahead. that's mainly because I want to go to the higher power numbers. now if you'll be happy with 400-450whp then it probably doesn't make sense for you to get the GT500, just get an aftermarket supercharger kit or get Ford's kit if you want to keep your warranty. but if you're honest with yourself you know that power is addictive and you won't stay happy with 450whp for long
Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 AM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

kinda in that place now i got mine recently and noticed the price hit they are taking now maybe next year ill trade mine in for a gt500 i will take a hit but it will end up being worth it i think
Old 11-06-2009, 07:01 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I'm telling you (even though you guys already know), if you're looking to buy, stick to your guns! I'm on several other forums and I've seen KR's going for less $50K....not sure of the specifics, but less that $50K!!! There are people out there that were paying $100K and more just a year ago. Knowing that, you should definitely be able to get a steal on a GT500.

Good luck to all.